My son was deciding between joining the Air Force or Coast Guard or interviewing for another job here in town. He didn't know which door to walk through. He did the interview, but didn't think it would lead anywhere (he didn't think he met the qualifications and didn't think they would offer enough salary) so he had made up his mind to join the Coast Guard.
Mom & Dad told him to fast and pray and God would show him which door to walk through and he would know it for sure. He seemed a little doubtful to us and seemed to have made up his mind, so we prayed even more.
The interview in town went well and they doubled his salary! Praise The Lord! (mom wasn't too pleased about the Coast Guard or Air Force stuff.)
4 comments:
So glad that God worked the job situation for Dustin. We are a military family with lots of ancestors serving, but...the service is ending with Ray. I am glad that God has closed the doors to both our sons in joining the military.
During the 11 years we pastored in Colorado Springs we pastored a LOT of military families--more than I can remember. That was my first encounter with the armed forces. What I learned was, it's nearly impossible for them to truly have God in first place because they've "covenanted" to the military. They've "sold themselves" to the US government and must work whatever schedule they are given and live wherever they are assigned. There are many instances where it's impossible to be faithful to a local church because the army has them "down range" or they're assigned a schedule that prevents them from attending services regularly, or they're moved to a location where there is no local church within driving distance and their spiritual life suffers and often times withers or dies altogether. There are exceptions to these "rules," and some of my best friends are these exceptions. But for every exception, I've seen many times more who didn't survive spiritually. It's risky. I dearly love my military friends and wouldn't want to insult them or hurt them, but I would NEVER encourage a Christian young person to join the military. For whatever noble sounding reason they may verbalize, deep down for almost every one the reason they really join is for job security and/or college benefits. If that's the underlying reason, aren't they really going to the arm of flesh to supply their needs instead of waiting on the Lord to do it? A "regular" job doesn't require you to sign away a certain number of years of your life, with no "outs." You can quit a regular job whenever you'd like, if it's interfering with your service to the Lord or requiring you to be in situations you're uncomfortable with. I've watched many military families as they've suffered spiritually because of the bondage they were in to the military. --I said all that (probably way too much!) just to say I'm really glad to hear God worked it out that Dustin didn't feel the need to join up! He's already covenanted to be a part of GOD's Army!
Sis. Smith,
What you said is EXACTLY my feelings on the subject. I couldn't have said it better.
Momwords,
Ha! Ouch. I guess Sis. Peggy won't be praying in the middle of the path to the kitchen again!! A corner perhaps? Yep, mom's just gotta keep praying.
I'm soooooo glad to hear Dustin didn't jion the military!!!!!! God came threw for him. Praise The Lord!!!
Post a Comment