Behold The Bridegroom Cometh! Part 6


BEHOLD THE BRIDEGROOM COMETH!

Another step in the Ancient Jewish Wedding Ceremonies is the "Ketubah". This written contract stated the bride-price and all the promises the groom made to the bride.

The Bible, specifically the “New Testament” is our "new covenant" and it is filled with the promises of Christ to His Bride, The Church of God.

The marriage contract, the new covenant, described in Jeremiah 31:31-34 is also repeated in Hebrews 8:6-13.

“But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises. 7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second. 8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah: 9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord. 10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people: 11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest. 12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more. 13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.”

SEALING THE COVENANT WITH WINE (fruit of the vine)
The bridegroom, upon signing his name to the Ketubah would place a cup of wine (fruit of the vine) on the table while he prayed. The prospective bride could then choose to drink from the cup, or leave it sitting on the table. By drinking from the cup she accepted the Bridegroom and the contract.

The Disciples, as the Bride of Christ, sealed the New Covenant when they shared the cup with Jesus at the Lord’s Supper during Passover. The Church of God still participates in the sacrament of Communion today as a reminder of the Bride price (Jesus’ sacrifice) that purchased The Church of God and to remind her to prepare for the Bridegroom’s return.

Jesus’ words described the significance of the cup in representing the bride price for the marriage contract:

Mat 26:27-29 “And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.”

The disciples drank of the cup, thus accepting the contract. Other scriptures: Luke 22: 16-20 1Co 11:24.

After finishing the marriage covenant, the groom would make a promise to the bride to return for his bride. Jesus delivered this promise in John 14:2-3

“In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.”

Research taken from: http://focusonjerusalem.com/bridegroomcometh.html

2 comments:

Wanda said...

Just found your blog, I will enjoy visiting here. Could you send me an email address where I can reach you. Just wanted to give you an update. Thanks, Wanda

Tammy Washburn said...

cheftammy@juno.com