The Advice to Members

DISCLAIMER: The following post has NOTHING to do with any posts/comments on any other blogs or any recent sermon concerning The Advice to Members given at the General Assembly or same such message given in Alabama (which I enjoyed).

I have no problem with the Advice to Members. I find that the closer I get to God, the idea of "obeying" the Advice to Members becomes a moot point. I don't have time for the world when I'm too busy living and working for the Lord, so I cease to even think about it. The Holy Ghost, daily working in me, fashions in me a vessel sanctified and of honor.

I have found that many (although not all ) messages on this subject are taught and preached correctly and are a great blessing. This post reflects something I discovered this Sunday while browsing through our Tract on the subject. I've have never heard this part read out loud from a pulpit and was frankly astonished that my personal beliefs regarding The Advice to Members had been an actual Assembly ruling since 1988.



Background:
Recently, there were two comments made to me in my presence about something in the Advice to Members and I frankly I didn't remember it being in there (I checked, it isn't :)

I guess I have mostly read the Advice to Members from Assembly Minutes, from the Church's previous website, etc.....because this Sunday, when I picked up the tract, I found what was a little surprise to me. (I thot I had once read a tract where Bro. Pruitt had added a little comment at the end, but I may be mistaken.)

I showed it to my pastor and asked him, "Why isn't THIS part read in our business conference and why isn't this part read in the messages we've heard preached?" We are required to follow all Assembly Rulings, one of which is to read the Advice to Members out loud to our local congregations. This part is also an Assembly Ruling adopted on the Advice to Members and as such is part of The Advice to Members ever since 1988. He agreed, most people stop reading at only the original advice.

THE FOLLOWING PORTION OF THE ADVISE WAS ADOPTED AT THE 83RD GENERAL ASSEMBLY IN 1988

In the 74th Annual Assembly, the General Overseer addressed an on-going problem relative to "Advice to Members," and in a section devoted to the subject said, "for many years our Assembly Minutes have contained a section entitled Advice to Members. These instructions were prepared for the purpose of providing counsel to the members of the Church to aid them in fighting the good fight of faith.

"From time to time we hear of those who assume a legalistic attitude with regards to the Advice to Members, as though they would make commandments of the things mentioned in this advice. The display of such attitudes usually does more harm than good. A gentle spirit of teaching will be much more effective than attempts to enforce as laws those things which have been set forth as advice....

"Perhaps we should take a closer look at this section of our Assembly Minutes, and at the spirit in which it is given". (74 AM, 1979, p. 41)

In spite of our General Overseer's admonition, many continue to take a harsh and judgmental approach in presenting the Advice to Members.

Holiness cannot be characterized as living in conformity with a list of prohibitions. True holiness manifests a Christlike nature in word and deed, and controls every area of one's life, external and internal.

For those who follow a holy God, the New Testament principles of holiness clearly reject such conduct as viewing pornographic films, reading sexually explicit literature, gambling, slanderous gossip, child abuse, spouse battering, and every other wrong conduct. On the positive side, a holy people are also diligent in perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

In the Advice to Members it is almost impossible to list everything which should be approved and/or disapproved for all people, in all cultures, under all conditions, for all time. Clearly, the New Testament principles of holiness are in every way superior to and more demanding than any list the General Assembly could possibly devise.

RESOLUTION:

The Advice to Members has its foundations in the New Testament. There the guidelines for proper Christian conduct in every situation are clearly given. All matters of personal Christian ethics are to be governed by the following principles:

(1) In everything we are to "walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called" (Ephesians 4:1), not permitting any conduct in ourselves which would bring reproach on the name of Jesus.

(2) We are to "abstain from all appearance of evil" (1 Thessalonians 5:22, Romans 12:9; 1 Timothy 5:14; 1 Peter 3:11).

(3) In word or deed, "neither give place to the devil" (Ephesians 4:27)

(4) "Whether therefore ye eat or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God (1 Corinthians 10:31).

(5) In matters of conscience, we are to avoid offending others who might stumble over our conduct (Matthew 18:7; Mark 9:42; Romans 14:21; 1 Corinthians 8:13; 10:32; 2 Corinthians 6:3).

(6) We must ourselves keep a clean conscience before God, and not violate our own convictions regarding any matter (Romans 13:5; 14:22, 23; 1 Corinthians 8:7).

(7) We must not judge one another in nonessential matters of personal conviction (Romans 14:1-5, 19).

(8) We must maintain a moderate lifestyle which will reflect the inner character of a meek and quiet spirit (Romans 12:1, 2; 1 Corinthians 9:25; Galatians 5:22, 23; 1 Timothy 2:9, 10; 1 Peter 3:3, 4; 1 John 2:15, 16).

(9) By our conduct we must adorn the doctrine of God our Saviour in all things (Titus 2:1-10).

(10) We must continue to perfect holiness in the fear of God by cleansing ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit (2 Corinthians 7:1).

2 comments:

Kasey said...

My husband was the first one I really remember reminding me of that part. I read it on my own when I first came I think, but as you said...mainly stuck to the first part and only skimmed the ending. For me, The Advice to Members is something that I hold very high and think it should be followed and that is me personally. Yes I admit, it is hard not to wanna say something to someone when you see they aren't following it. But I have to remember that I must work out my own salvation and unless God directs me to say something I just need to pray and keep my mouth shut. I want to do all I can for HIM, and whether that means saying something, or just praying, I want to do what I am supposed to do. Make sense? love ya, Me

Tammy Washburn said...

Yep :)

Are you going to Ladies Retreat in TN? Alaena is supposed to go with the Ladies in her church.