TODAY IS MY26TH WEDDING ANNIVERSARY!!!!
I could have gone on and extended the Chicago business trip with my Hubby last weekend, but we decided to spend the money on a new, Euro-pillow top kingsize mattress, but it will have to be delivered. My old mattress is too hard and hopefully a new one will help my aching shoulders and back and save me some Chiropractor $$$. Isn't it sad that a mattress costs as much or more than a trip to Chicago!
I have accomplished most of my goals from last year, (except that get in shape one ;)
So the Things I've decided to do this coming year:
1. Attempt to write some SS. Literature.
2. Get in shape. Ha!
3. I've been informed that I have to survive planning a wedding. (defininately not in my range of talent). Oh well.
3. I'll think of some more, I'm sure!
I also am in the process of overcoming one of my MAJOR fears this year. Singing a special in church! (yeah I belt out congregational singing at the top of my voice and sing at home in the shower and the car!) People who love to sing and have beautiful voices find singing specials to be very easy. Frankly, I would rather preach a message at the Assembly (not that I would or could...that's just how frightening it is to me.) I shake and tremble and for some reason it just terrorizes me. SO, I've decided that the same fear that I have about singing is just like the fear that keeps me from witnessing sometimes. SO, I've decided if I conquer this singing fear, I will definitely overcome the witnessing fears. I bought 4 Cd's and can sing 3 :( I have now sung two songs at Bessemer and one in Texas. Yet, I still tremble and get shaky and scared...so I sing with my eyes tightly shut and hide behind the pulpit! Ha!
Oh, yeah, I DID get the Christmas tree up. I had the new tree up and some of the house decorated before hubby came home from Chicago. My old 7 1/2 ft. tree needed a new stand, new attaching pins on 3 branches and probably some new lights...so.....I went to Walmart and bought a 6 1/2 ft. tree that is pre-lit. I put garland on the front porch, red bows and my 3 ft. high toy soldiers. You could never see them on the old porch configuration, but since we changed the roofline and railings, we can see them now. Also planted everygreen tree and some flowers in two big flower pots. Maybe I'll take pictures once I figure out how to download a digital camera. Okay, so maybe my bah-humbug bark is worse than my bite :0 ;) :)
I THANK THE LORD!!! that He has inspired me with ideas for Alabama Ladies Day (I was stumped this year). I was walking through the living room and BAM! it hit me. Woohoo! Now I need to find flags for every nation, and print the Overseers pix and inform the guest speaker.......Don't ya'll wanna come! Saturday, March 15, 2008, Bessemer, AL.
9 comments:
Hey Sis. Washburn, I'm finally commenting like I promised you at Assembly, HOW many months ago????
Anyway, I can totally relate to your singing fear. In a different way though. At Antioch we have SO many talented singers, and it just embarrasses me to sing up front. I've helped in smaller churches where everyone where 3 or 4 hats, but here... I feel so inadequate. Good for you for working through your fear! I know the Lord will bless you for it!
I wish I could come to y'all's Ladies' Day but my due date is March 19th! I won't be doing any traveling around that time, that's for sure. I'll be praying all goes well. :-)
Oh, and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! :-)
Happy Anniversary! As for the fear of singing...ha ha ha ha ha ha! Every time I get up to sing...my hands get sweaty, my knees begin to knock, my heart races, I feel like I can't breathe, and my throat closes off...but for some reason that I haven't quite figured out...I keep getting put on program, locally, regionally and this last Assembly to sing. I'm a harmonizer, not a lead singer, so...go figure. If I can keep putting myself through such terror...you can too. ~grin~ I have learned, just recently, trying and not succeeding is NOT the same thing as failure...not trying because I'm afraid is the failure. Go for it! What's the worst that can happen, you hit a wrong note or two, forget the words, the mic quit working? No biggie, I've truly learned how to laugh about it when it happens now. When I first started playing the piano, if I hit a wrong note (I'm not kidding about this) I would literally stop playing and would go back to my seat during the song service. Just don't do that. ~giggle~
Hey Rachel!
I've heard some of those Antioch singers. I understand :)
Aww, Tammi, you mean to tell me that the jitters never end!!! That is too funny about leaving the piano!!
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!
I know what you mean about the cost of a mattress!! It's CRAZY! It's just a MATTRESS!!! What could POSSIBLY be so expensive about it?! They aren't made of GOLD, you know! The price has skyrocketed ridiculously in the past few years. I'm still upset about what we had to pay to replace ours when we made the move from Colorado.
Singing in front of people? Or playing in front of people? Or speaking in front of people? I hardly ever get extremely nervous any more. As long as it's worship related, that is. I'm a complete WRECK if I have to play love songs for a wedding, or something outside of worship. If it's a "spiritual" event I just pray and surrender myself to the Lord. I know it's not a "performance," therefore I just give it my best and if I mess up, I mess up. Like Sister Tammi says, what's the worst that can happen? Nobody's gonna throw rotten tomatoes at you or anything. I figure I don't critique other people's songs or messages for their quality or talent; I just try to worship and/or receive spiritual benefit from them and if there are folks in the congregation who are "critiquing" me, it's their problem. I'm not concerned about PEOPLE thinking I'm good or bad, I'm concerned about ministering a message and being used by the Lord. My only fear is not motivated by pride or vain glory, but by my desire to not miss God's will or His direction.
Sounds like you have a Christmasy house and porch. Show us pictures!
And congratulations and best wishes on the upcoming nuptials!
You know, that's what I thought! I don't sit there and critique singers and I always enjoy every one and worship the Lord during their songs, so I thought that everyone would be kind to me too :)I just have an unreasonable fear I must conquer :)
Congrats on your wedding anniversary!!!! And congrats to your baby girl who has alll grown up on us...Tell Dustin, I said hey...Mike too...
Just to be clear...the nerves that I feel are self-inflicted not because I'm inordinately prideful, but because I am a perfectionist and I want what I do to be the best that it can be for God and I'm afraid that I will let Him down because I am not the best singer...passable maybe...and honestly, the nerves only last until I get started and then I forget about them once I truly begin to concentrate on God. Some of the best blessings, that I've received, have come when someone, who really botched a song, was completely surrendered to God and sang with their whole heart. So sing like you would in the shower and allow God to do the rest.
I think I mostly sing outta tune in the shower (at the top of my voice)....which is really embarrassing when someone knocks at the door of my small house and the kids would invite them in without telling me first! Ha! Ha! :) :)
Post a Comment