My hubby wants to see the "big hole" in the ground. We'll be flying out on Labor Day weekend to Pheonix and coming home the next weekend.
I guess, since I live so close to Cleveland, TN (3.5 hours) that I don't consider the Assembly a vacation anymore. When I was little, my parents had a travel trailer and we would take 2 weeks off from school (can't do that anymore), and tour Florida, or TN/NC, Smokies, VA/DC the first week and then go to the Assembly the 2nd week. My grandmother and granddad McGriff used to live directly across from the round tabernacle and we used to walk down the hill, across Keith Street and into the drive next to the VOS bldg.
Assembly memories:
Old Tabernacle, Cleveland:
Dooley's Ice Cream Parlour, standing in the long line and looking in the window at the pretty tables and chairs. I've always wanted a "ice cream parlour table and chair" ever since then and I finally bought a "modern" version that needs to be painted. Also remember searching at night for the lone and/or rumored coke machine in the basement of the old White Wing Publishing house.
Memorial Auditorium, Chattanooga (the first time around before it was remodeled...it was 3 separate stories then). Standing with Dad on the third floor, looking down at the "hanky wave" and seeing Dad tear up like he always does when the church flag waves. Staying in those oooold hotels that you can still see on the mountain above Chattanooga. The 10 roomed ones that are ground level on the front of the hotel and then you can drive around to get to the "basement" rooms on the backside.
Keith Street (round) Tabernacle
The brand new, sparkling and COLORFUL building with the stage in the round. Building a tree house in the trees at grandma's house between sessions. ;) I was a "State March" junky. I LOVED to march with the TX State March! VLB marches that stretched for what seemed like a mile. I met my husband for the 3rd time in a VLB march. He ignored me and I ignored him. Ha! (just like the other two times, especially the first time when I was 12 at the assembly!!!! He didn't notice me until the 4th meeting.) The time I watched and participated in the Spirit moving around the building (kind of like a reverse wave) causing everyone to bow when He swept over them in a circle around the tabernacle. I liked sitting UNDER the Bahama Brass Band too. I was also a Assembly RIBBON junky. I LOVED to wear them to the restaurants and then keep them as bookmarks in my Bible. Long lines to stinky backed up bathrooms. When I was a young mother, I was wrestling with a 3 year old and a baby and a stroller while trying to find a seat near the back. I had been "kicked" out of the room set aside for a nursery (nearly empty room) because Dustin was too old to be there and it was for "2 and under ONLY" I was told.) Soooooo....I had just gotten seated with Alaena in my lap and was trying to maneuver Dustin into the seats when he accidently hit the stroller and it went rolling down the long, steep aisle. All the people thought a baby was in it (I could see the panic in their eyes all the way down :) and all the men on the aisle seats went diving for it. Somewhere near the bottom, somebody finally caught it and brought it back up. I happened to look back and saw a grown "relative" (who shall remain nameless) slinking down in her seat...dying of embarrassment...instead of offering to help me. I shall refrain telling the rest of the story because it involves searching down my husband in another part of the tabernacle and tossing a 3 year old across a row of seats to him in frustration. Dustin thought it was great fun of course....which is why he wants to go sky diving next month....to feel the thrill of flying through the air again, I guess :) ;)
Memorial Auditorium
My memories are of varied emotions. I have attended every Assembly since the 2nd one. (I did not attend the Solemn or the First Assembly). By that time, I was a member of The Church of God and my hubby still in Cogop. I used to enjoy sitting up in the top level and watching the VLB's march below. I taught a "sermonette" in the Children's Church once.
3 comments:
Great memories!
My first Assembly was when I was 12 years old and it was the last year at the Central Avenue tabernacle. I remember seeing the Bahama Brass Band for the first time, the smell of greasy food cooking at the carnival-like food booths set up all over the street and I remember my first VLB march--marching from the Court House, across the tracks and into the tablernacle. I LOVED IT! I screamed and shouted (not in the Spirit--just in enthusiasm) and made more noise than any other Idaho delegate. Being from the far northwest, I don't remember ever seeing a black person (we called them "colored" then)before and I was smitten with the bass drum player in the Bahama Brass Band.:-) I remember the "colored" section over on the right and I LOVED watching the ladies in their fancy clothes and hats move to the music.
Memorial Auditorium--Went all 3 years (or was it 4?). I remember the little restaurant down the street where we went through the breakfast line and the cook would flip those eggs by just flipping the pan--no spatula involved. Amazing! --I remember moves of the Spirit and praying and praying and praying for the Holy Ghost, while battling claustrophobia with all the people crushed around me trying to help me out.
Keith Street Tabernacle--went to every single Assembly held there, except one. I, too, remember Holy Ghost "waves" roaring through the building. The first year of the new tabernacle was the year I started dating my husband. By the end of the Assembly I was thinking I was in love. I was right! --I always looked forward to hearing Brother Tomlinson's Address and to hearing Brother Felix Garcia preach and the World Mission Parade of Nations. And, of course, I LOVED the excitement of the VLB March. The first year of the new tabernacle we lined up on the football field out by the Shoneys and yelled and marched all the way up Keith Street to the tabernacle. HA! They never did that again! From then on, we just lined up outside the tabernacle. My moist poignant memory has to be the last year we were there and all the tears I shed as I sat there and felt like I was watching the Bride of Christ be murdered before my eyes. Unbelieveable. I cried and cried for days on end.
Back to Memorial Auditorium--been to every Assembly held. My Solemn Assembly memories differ some from other people's--to me it was a wild roller coaster ride of feeling, "YES! This is it!" then "Oh, I don't know. Something doesn't feel right." Back and forth. But in the end I KNEW when the Holy Ghost put His anointing on Brother Pruitt and although I questioned some things here and there, I NEVER questioned whether or not Brother Pruitt was our God-chosen Overseer.
Last Year's Assembly--I don't ever remember a better one, all around. The powerful preaching, the LOVE--the abounding LOVE--and the unity.
Thanks for taking me down YOUR Memory Lane and allowing me to share mine. --I look forward to the new memories we'll be making next week!
If you were 12 the last Central Avenue Assembly that would have made me around 6 years old, which is why I only remember the Ice Cream at Dooley's! Ha!
I thought we were only in Memorial Auditorium for 2 years, but then I wouldn't really know that anyway. We might not have gone every year during that time.
I too really enjoyed Bro. Garcia's messages. To tell the truth, in my humble opinion, we haven't quite captured the same feeling yet with the World Mission Dept./ All Nation's flag march that we had back then. Maybe it's just because I'm older now.
I attended every year at Keith Street until I got married. I attended the weekend the year they "retired" Bro. Tomlinson and installed the next one. I wasn't at any of the Assemblies after that but heard all that went on.
I did attend a cogop assembly in '94 when they made adornment official and voted out Theo. govnmt.
Let me know how you like the "hole in the ground". I've heard it is really fascinating but it hasn't been on the top of my priority list of places to go. I still want to go Niagra Falls, your pictures there were wonderful!!
Post a Comment