A Domestic Moment

I cannot remember who I got this from...may have been someone from blogland. But I tried it out last night and it seemed to do well....the dishes came out clean anyway. I'll have to let you know at the end of the week.

Dish Washer Detergent
1 Tbs. Borax
1 Tbs. Baking Soda
Once every week or two fill the rinse aid receptacle with vinegar to get rid of spots.

If I still like it after a few more tries, I will mix equal parts of Borax and Baking Soda in the large yellow plastic Nestle's Quick container with a handle that I buy at Sam's (milk chocoholic that I am). Just shake occasionally to keep mixed and put 2 Tbs. in the dishwasher. I think this stuff will last almost a year maybe.


I found recipes for liquid and dry laundry detergent and the dry laundry detergent seems to much more manageable for me. I may try this one day. (You can find the Liquid Version in the links below.)

Powdered Laundry Detergent:
1 c. shredded or grated bar soap (can use food processor) Ivory soap or Fels Naptha soap (One lady added more soap).

1/2 c. borax (Borateem avail in laundry deterg. aisle.)

1/2 c. super washing soda (Arm and Hammer - not baking soda)

Use only 1 tablespoon for regular load. 2 Tablespoons for heavily soiled or large loads. This recipe doesn't suds up. A double batch of this lasts 6 months.

note: can also boost with some Oxiclean (according to box directions per load) or Biz at noted below.

A & H toll free locator number is 1-800-524-1328.
http://www.thelaundrybasket.com/Questions_Comments/Questions_Comments_Super_Washing_Soda/questions_comments_super_washi.html or you can buy Sodium Carbonate (aka Washing soda, aka Laundry Soda)in any pool store. Look for PH increaser and serveral brands are 100% sodium carbonate also called soda ash. It is also available at Lowes and Home Depot pool section as a Ph adjuster.

A person noted on the website said:
To boost this recipe a bit, add a box of BIZ to it. That stuff gets everything out! I 'discovered' it when my stepson's both played football and the coach insisted he had NEVER coached a losing team that wore white pants. All the mother's could have cheerfully killed him. Of course, the team did have a losing season, but after asking how everyone else was getting those nasty pants so sparkly white, I have become the queen of laundry!


Yield of Powdered Laundry Detergent:
The recipe yields 2 cups of laundry detergent. If you use 1 tablespoon per load, you will be able to wash 32 loads of clothes.
Cost of Powdered Laundry Detergent:

20 Mule Team Borax: $2.50 for 70 oz. - Cost per batch: .14 (4 oz needed for recipe) Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda: $2.50 for 55 oz. Cost per batch .18.(4 oz needed for recipe) Fels Naphtha: $1.24 per bar. Cost per batch: .83 (2/3 bar of soap needed for recipe) *Total cost to make: $1.15 Yields 2 cups which translates to 3.5 cents per load.Although it is more expensive than the liquid homemade laundry detergent, it is still cheaper than buying from the store and easier to store.


Fabric softener:
6 cups water,
3 cups vinegar
2 cups hair conditioner.
Find a hair conditioner that you like the smell of. It doesn't have to be expensive, you can even use something from the $ store. I like the Ocean scents - they tend to smell similar to Downey. Use as you would any softener. It won't leave a residue on your clothing or towels.

Furniture Polish 1:
1 cup Olive Oil
1/2 cup lemon juice
(put in squirt bottle and use cloth to polish.

Furniture Polish 2:
2 T. olive oil
1 T white vinegar
4 cups warm water
Mix and store in spray bottle


A website tip for you northerners:

Frost Free Windshield Wash:
(NOT for use in windshield wash dispenser in car. For outside of windows only.)
When you have to leave your car outside overnight in the winter, mix 3 -1 ratio of water and vinegar and coat the windows with this solution. This vinegar and water combination will keep windshields ice and frost-free. (I suppose you can put it in a spray bottle.)


Links:
http://tipnut.com/10-homemade-laundry-soap-detergent-recipes/
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/28138/recipe_for_homemade_laundry_detergent.html http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf223623.tip.html
http://www.geocities.com/heartland/Prairie/8088/clngrn.html
http://web1.msue.msu.edu/imp/mod02/01500631.html




4 comments:

SIS-MC said...

Wow, what money saving ideas. Do you think you could fill the winshield washer dispenser with this solution---in the summer???

Thanks a bunch.

Tammy Washburn said...

It didn't say anything about being in the windshield dispenser on this site. Might could google homemade windshield cleaners for that. Or check the ingredients on store bought ones. I don't see how vinegar could hurt the dispenser since they probably put other chemicals in that stuff anyway...but don't take my word for it :):)

Tammy Washburn said...

I did google it. You can't put it IN the window washer dispenser because it would freeze. The store-bought stuff has some alchohol in it to keep it from freezing in the water pump. It seems that the cost of buying the Walmart stuff may be cheaper than making it according to some comments.

So this vinegar/water recipe is only good for putting on the outside of the windows themselves..especially the side and back windows since they aren't connected to the dispenser pump.

I can't try this out until Jan/Feb. in Alabama, so you will have to let me know if it works!

Vicki Smith said...

How fun! Thanks for the tips!