In studying for BTI class, I had these thoughts....(and no, I'm not going to go over them in BTI... ;) :)
Fortunately I don’t personally know of anyone doing these things…so I thought I would give these questions to the general public. If you know someone who does these things...please DON'T tell me! :)
If a member negatively dominates and constrains a local church because of their familial, historical or financial position (etc.)…is it Coercion?
COERCION: 1 : to restrain or dominate by force 2 : to compel to an act or choice 3 : to achieve by force or threat
If a member threatens a church that they will only fund / support a project or the church if a decision is made in their favor…is it Bribery?
BRIBERY: 1 : money or favor given or promised in order to influence the judgment or conduct of a person in a position of trust 2 : something that serves to induce or influence
If a member threatens a church that they will withhold their tithes, financial support or move their membership if something is not done according to their wishes….is it Extortion?
EXTORTION: to obtain from a person by force, intimidation, or undue or illegal power : wring ; also : to gain especially by ingenuity or compelling argument. (rapacious, ravenous)
Just something to think about. :)
3 comments:
YES!
why does it always have to be a member? What if a pastor dominates and constrains a local church? What's a member to do?
A pastor IS a member.
(I edited the post to reflect that.)
They just have an extra calling on their life and are given a leadership position...but they are still covenant members under the same Theocratic government we all are.
I only asked questions, but didn't offer solutions. But the Bible does that already.
We are all members one to another...brothers and sisters in the Lord.
I covered the solution in a previous BTI class found here:
http://apttoteach.blogspot.com/2009/04/stuff-that-keeps-me-busy.html
Note: The questions in my post were asked as a way of seeing actions (sometimes our own actions) in a different light. Why? So that we might judge our own selves (not each other) and rectify any of these issues in our own lives...before we are judged by Christ.
Post a Comment