Years ago, this is where my kids played. We didn't own this 2 acres of land back then, so we could not clear it completely off. They swung off a sapling on the cliff to jump below and climbed the rocks back up. After the kids were grown, the land came up for sale and we bought it. The saplings became small trees and the brush after a fire got really thick. We also found that our roofer had dumped stuff off the cliff into the brush.
Mike was talking about entertaining and I told him that our house is entirely too small to have a crowd over. We love our land, but have a love/hate relationship with our fixer-upper house. (mostly dislike every time we have to work on it.)
So I suggested we go ahead and do something now and not wait until after we had siding put on the house. Since it is almost fall and weiner roasting time, we decided to clear the land next door so we could build a picnic area, a small waterfall, and a "prayer garden".
This is the AFTER clearing pix after all the bushes and trees have been ripped out of the ground by the bushhog. He smoothed it out some. We had hoped it was more level, but will probably drop that scorched pine on the right along the edge of the slope, stake it and then fill in and level the ground between the tree and the rock wall. (we've seen this done in Ntl. Parks). The stump in the middle is currently filled with yellow jackets which is why it is still standing. :-P That's where the cleft of the rock is and where I want my trickle waterfall.
Mike had most of this section already cleared, but wanted it more level. However, the rocks have prevented that until we bring more dirt in...which we may or may not do. We'll see. They cleared more of the end down there. Well, Mike doesn't have to mow this weekend now...but he'll have to buy a machete and finish some of the hand clearing job.
We also had the cliff area behind our house cleared, but it had to be done by hand, not tractor, so it's not close to pretty right now and I'm not climbing down there to take a pix.
The man whose crew cleared the area in 5 hours (would have taken us much longer - like never!) was happy to let us know that they did not run into any snakes. Which is good...because that's what I hired them for...to clear the land and chase away any snakes. :-P
8 comments:
Neat area! I LOVE water features. I love our pond, but still would LOVE to have a little waterfall that cascades into the pond. I love the sound of water falling. So relaxing!
Relaxing sometimes...makes me want to run to the ladies room the rest of the time. hahahhahhaha~
You can come see it when it's done. Just ignore the house next door. ;)
I asked and the revival does start on a Wed. night...Bro. Hopkins will confirm with Bro. Smith. That means that I will be in Colorado the entire revival. So I will miss it this time. Bummer! But I'll be with the Colorado ladies! Yay!
I wish I could be BOTH places! I know you'll have a great time in Colorado. You KNOW a piece of my heart will always be out west. Give my love to everybody out there. I sure miss them.
I will. Will you be at Minister's Convention too? (weekend before the revival).
Yes. I just found out this morning that's it's a "definite." Lord willing, that is.
Yay! I dunno if the "garden area will have much progress by then...
Like I said, just ignore the house that needs a new deck and new siding next door to it. (hopefully soon)
I love it! The rock cliff is fantastic. :-) I'm anxious to see the finished pictures. And I'm glad to know that you didn't find any snakes. I keep imagining snakes everywhere you step that isn't paved in Alabama. Ha! It thrills the boys ("They have coral snakes there, Mom! And copperheads and...") and they are WAY too excited about it for my comfort!
You'll probably see the finished project yourself before the pictures remember! However, I am trying to rush Mike. ;)
I haven't seen a snake in years. Ya'll have had more snake action than me with that pond. I'm almost afraid to build one thinking about all that. I've never seen a coral snake in Alabama. I've only seen a copperhead and a water moccasin in Texas. I think we had a black racer in the yard here one time when the kids were little. Mike saw a little one in the overgrown brush he was cuttin gown not long ago...but it ran away. Poisonous snakes usually don't run away when cornered. I think Mike and the snake scared each other!
Post a Comment