I know I haven't shared much about BTI, but I'm still in the zombie-like "I can't remember a thing" post-BTI stage...I just know it was uplifting, a wonderful blessing, thrilling, hilarious, fun. Everything that is BTI! See Sis. Becky's blog for the "hilarious" part.
SUNDAY AFTER BTI:
We got home last Saturday from BTI about 9:30 pm. My sister and her family drove in with us and we all just crashed. However, my sister and I did stay up and talk till midnight getting caught up. Sunday morning, they left for the 10 hour trip home to Texas, and Mike and I, headed to church in a "zombie like" state. Mike went and got his Mom for church and I ended up about 5 minutes late for Sunday School.
Mike met me in the hallway and said that we were short one teacher for the young kids and I needed to sub. I gave him the "Are you kidding me?" look as I went to teach. Since I was in no form or fashion prepared in any way, I taught the lesson, but had nothing else to offer them in form of activity, so the 2 boys soon became restless. Finally I gave up on myself and took them to the back bench of the sanctuary to sit and listen to the adult teacher. They looked at me with saucer round eyes and asked, "Are we in trouble?" (LOL!) I leaned over and said, "No, you are not in trouble. I just am very, very, very tired and didn't have anything prepared to keep you busy, so you can help me take care of my mother-in-law" ( she keeps wanting to wander around the church and "find Mike"). Relieved, one of them whispered, "Can you make sure Papaw knows that we're not in trouble?" (I thot I was going to fall off the pew in giggles). "I'll make sure that they know you aren't in trouble. We're out here because I'm so tired." Mike came by and offered them Tic-Tacs for being good, and told them if they continued being good, Sis. Tammy would give them some more when the first bell rang. (handing me the TicTac box with a twinkle in his eye :)...which I did.
I taught Children's Church (something I was prepared for) and told the kids that "Sis. Tammy is very, very, very tired and needed them to be very, very, very good for me....and then reminded them of our reward system. The time went mostly without mishap and we had a good class. Our reward system has calmed the class down overall, I'm pleased with it.
After church, I was dragging out the door and happened to mention to Bro. Hopkins that I was going home to "crash and burn". He asked if I "was coming back tonight?" I told them, "I can make no promises." He and Sis. Horne started "pep talking" me...and I said, "I can make no promises." BUT, we soon realized that Mike had switched cars on me to take his mom home and I didn't have the keys to the other vehicle or a phone to call him with. (I assumed it was in a skirt pocket in my suit cases, which it was.) Sis. Horne helped me get in contact with Mike and we made arrangements for me to wait with them for a meeting to end, and then go out to eat with them and Mike would meet us there to pick me up.
So Mike and I, the Hornes, and the Hopkins ate at Cracker Barrell. We got there about 2:10pm and found it very crowded. So by the time we ate, visited, drank gallons of tea to keep me awake, it was only 1.5 hours to church time. Bro. Hopkins and Sis. Horne accomplished their task and kept us awake for church that night. Mike snoozed in the truck in the parking lot. Little Gage Booth showed up at the church door (his parents coming home from Zion Hill were on the phone in the parking lot) and I let him in the church and we "jammed" together with me on the piano and him on the drums. Ha! (you don't want to hear me play the piano!) But we had fun.
We had a good rousing service that kept us awake...but when we all went to the altar to pray, Mike whispered to me, "If I fall asleep, just leave me here." I made sure I poked him real good when we got up. :) But I told him, "keep walking" when we got back to our pews and picked up our keys. We waved to Bro. Hopkins on stage and drove as quickly, but as safely as we could in separate cars to home...ignored all our "exploded suitcases" and crashed into bed...only to get up the next morning and go to work.
I still have laundry to do. ~Groan~
WEDNESDAY AFTER BTI:
Our first Gleaner Auxilliary CPMA Service was a success! Gleaner CPMA Leader, Bro. Michael Farr, explained the real and imaginary :) uses of a remote control, and how Christians should be just as willing to follow God's directions. Sis. Gabbie Booth, Sis. Katie Horne sang, "Are you a member of the CPMA?" while Bro. Joe Horne accompanied by guitar. 11 Gleaners were present, and all, but maybe one are CPMA members. (He was too young to know, and I forgot to ask his parents.)
The imaginary uses of the remote were:
1. Turn the lights off and on with help of a hidden assistant.
2. Causing me to stand up and sit down as fast and as many times as he clicked the button. Bro. Washburn wants to buy that remote Ha!
Sis. Smith, I did mention our Gleaner Auxilliaries to Bro. O'Dell and he was thrilled and had me share with the class the next day.
Next week we have VBS. I'm helping decorate and do puppets. Everybody else has Family Camp after that. (not me this year :)...then very soon, there will be State Convention. I think I need another nap!!!
3 comments:
I feel your pain. I did, however, get to sleep in on Monday and stay home from the office. I didn't get a lot of rest and I worked hard--it's hard to just QUIT when you've been in high gear for so long. I've driven to work at 7:15am with my husband Tuesday and Wednesday. Today I got up at the regular 6:30am, but stayed home after Brother Smith left for the office so I could wash my hair. I've had to work hard this week to get the July EL done. I started it 4 days later than usual so I was behind from the get-go. It's in the hands of the final proofreader tonight (Becki). Hopefully she'll be able to read it tonight and get the corrections to me early tomorrow so we can go to print. I don't see any way out of it being mailed a day after my usual deadline. But I'm still pleased that it's getting done reasonably quick.
I'm glad you mentioned the Gleaner Auxiliaries in your class. What a neat idea! Sounds like your first one was a success!
I'm going to go spend a couple days with Sister Bishop this weekend. She could use some company right now. Keep her in your prayers. --Our State Convention is just a week away and we will probably have a house full of guests again. This time, though, I hope to do some cooking for them. I won't have to be up and out of the house by 6:30 every morning like I was at BTI. I will hopefully at least have some homemade cinnamon rolls or breakfast burritos.
I'm glad God stole your keys and didn't let you "crash and burn" on Sunday until after He'd kept you in town through evening service. HA!
I LOVE what you're doing with the Gleaners. I will look forward to hearing about what all of the mini-aux-leaders will be sharing each week. Once we make it through VBS and Camp, that is, and actually get back into the ever elusive "normal" mode. :-) Sounds like Michael did a great job with his first service. He seemed excited before church. I love that. :-)
We are trying to squeeze the VLB auxilliary in on the Sunday nite between VBS and Family Camp. (when we have too many activities interupting our Wed. night Gleaners, we'll do a Sunday nite occasionally to catch up and I realized that we had one between the those activities.) That way we'll have Mission's when they get back from camp.
Post a Comment