My Dad's Dad died last Friday afternoon. He had just had his 97th Birthday right before the Assembly and Grandmother & Grandad have been married 78 years. My Dad and Mom had arrived at my house in Alabama last Thursday and made it to Cleveland on Friday about 2 hours before he passed away, so all the McGriff children (3 sons and one daughter) were present.
Mike & I were scheduled to boost & preach at The Church of God in Sumiton, AL (Canaan Church)Sunday morning and since the viewing was scheduled for Sunday Night, Mike & I kept our appointment there. Mike & I went to Canaan Sunday morning, but I didn't get to preach afterall. A young man had gotten saved the night before, and I could really tell he needed to pray again because while Mike was up giving his 5-10 minute BTI Boost I could see him laying his head on the pew in front of him and praying and crying. I thought, "I'm not going to preach this message." But right before it was time for me to go up front, the young man went to the basement, so I thought, "well maybe I will". But instead I just said, "They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so one moment in the presence of God is worth more than a whole message. These altars are open at any time if you would like to come pray."
Well Bro. Steptoe jumped up to get the young man and found that he was already at the top of the stairs and got him to come to the altar to pray. We prayed for two other ladies there also. The young man was sanctified that morning. Bro. Flippo wanted me to say a few words afterwards and I just encouraged everyone to faithfully attend church (and SUNDAY SCHOOL!), to pray and read the Word of God because without those things, it is impossible to stay saved and sanctified. (The Lord had already preached my message which was about Repentance, Justification, Regeneration and Born Again.)
I thanked Bro. & Sis. Flippo for inviting us to participate in their revival! Now if ALL the churches would have REVIVAL already going when we come to boost, I won't ever have to preach! How great would THAT be!! We ate a DELICIOUS lunch prepared by Sis. Flippo and enjoyed the company of her, Bro. Rick and his parents.
We left at 2:30pm and met Alaena for her and I to travel to Cleveland and Mike to travel back home so that he could be at work the next day. Alaena and I arrived at the wrong funeral home shortly before 7:00pm, but was directed to the correct one about 2-3 miles away. We were able to visit with family and church family from Zion Hill and SouthSide church. SouthSide had just taken in two members by covenant and I was happy that two more came home. It almost felt like being at the Assembly all over again seeing everybody there. Afterwards, some family members went out to eat.
Monday morning, Alaena and I checked on Mom & Dad (Dad had been very sick on this trip)and then later went up to HQ to pick up some report books while we were in town. I tried to bug Bro. & Sis. Barrick while shopping and then caught Bro. Hawkins, Bro. Dupree and Bro. Werkheiser all wandering around the hallways and bookstore. Alaena found Sis. Shanna and bugged her. I told Bro. Dupree that I'm all dressed up and here, so it feels like we should be having BTI! We both wished it were so! I left a note on Sis. Smith's desk (with Bro. Werkheiser encouraging me to "give her a hard time", but I told him "I'll leave that you." Ha!), but didn't bother Bro. Smith (because I told him later at the funeral, that I thought he might be the only one actually working that day. Ha!) However, I'm just joking...they all were working hard and I tried to hurry up and not keep Sis. Wendy too long from her job.
The funeral was private and started at Noon for family viewing and then the actual funeral at 1:00. Bro. Smith, Bro. & Sis. Cox and Bro. & Sis. Anders attended and Amy Anders sang beautifully. I loved the way everyone responded back to "It is Well with my Soul". Bro. Anders officiated the funeral. Thank you all for your love and care. Afterwards, there was the trip to the cemetary and then the family gathered at Melvin & Joyce's home for a light supper thanks to the Zion Hill. We followed Mom & Dad back to Alabama last night and they traveled back home to Texas today. Unfortunately, we may be gathering for another funeral soon, but are hoping God will heal Dad's Mom, and give the sons and daughter time to rest and recuperate.
2 comments:
Found your note when I went in to the office yesterday. :-) Thanks! I hate that I missed seeing you, and being there for the funeral. And I hate it that I wasn't in town to cook for the family dinner. :-(
So . . . Brother Werkheiser was encouraging you to mischievousness? I'll have to speak to him about that. HA!
I missed you, but was happier you got to go on your trip. I would have hated it if you had missed it. We had plenty of people at the funeral and plenty of food. All was well.
Post a Comment