Lesson 4: Am I the Image of Christ?

Nothing between, e’en many hard trials,
Tho’ the whole world against me convene
Watching with prayer and much self denial
I’ll triumph at last with nothing between

And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.….And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. (Mat 24:12-13…Mar 13:13) 

The word ENDURE seems to be so HARD!! We don’t want hard trials!  We don’t WANT to have to ENDURE!!

We would rather God to be like the Tooth Fairy: I’ll give you something God I don’t need or want anyway and you give me something better in return.

We would rather God to be like the Easter Bunny: I want delightful treats every day! It’s okay for me to have to search a bit. But don’t make them too hard to find though!

We would rather God to be like Santa Claus: I’ll give Him my list of needs, wishes, and desires and He can make them all come true!!! I don’t even mind if it’s only once a year.
 
Hebrews 11:32-40: And what shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Gedeon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthae; of David also, and Samuel, and of the prophets: Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions,  Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens.  Women received their dead raised to life again…. OH WAIT!, IT DOESN’T SOUND SO VICTORIOUS FROM THIS PART ON…

….and others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection: And others had trial of cruel mockings and scourgings, yea, moreover of bonds and imprisonment:  They were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword: they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented; (Of whom the world was not worthy:) they wandered in deserts, and in mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth. And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise:  God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.

These Godly  Men and Women not only got the victory over their FLESH while they lived, but they willingly laid down their FLESH to die for their Saviour.  They LIVED for Christ and they were willing to be SLAIN for Him.  They had “crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts” in this life so that they might obtain an eternal one.
On 6th August 1945, When the atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, those near the center of the explosion were instantly vaporized, leaving behind only their 'shadows' etched on pavements or walls.  The intense heat and light the atomic bomb blasts left behind ghostly silhouettes of human beings whose lives were erased in an instant.  Their last moments on earth were left as SHADOWS, IMPRINTS, IMAGES… WITNESSES to the WORLD of lives that once lived.

This is what HEBREWS CHAPTER 11 IS.  However, these scriptures are not a roll call of Victims or a history of crimes against Christianity.  The Scriptures are not a Crime Scene, this Hall of Faith is the VICTORIOUS WITNESS OF THE EXACT MOMENT HEROES OF THE FAITH TRADED THEIR SORROWS FOR JOY, THEIR PAIN FOR HEALING, THEIR FLESH FOR ETERNAL LIFE!  These scriptural shadows, imprints, images leave un-erasable witnesses to lives lived victoriously through faith in God and the Blood of Jesus Christ!!!

Am I leaving this world an image of Christ?

Heb 12:1, 2  Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Only through Prayer and much Self denial will we be able to finish the race with Nothing between my soul and the Saviour.
 
Atomic Bomb flash image of person on wall in Hiroshima or Nagasaki

Atomic Bomb flash image of a woman sitting on the stone steps of Sumitomo Bank Company
(Building 19), Hiroshima, Nov. 20, 1945.
 

2 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

I loved ALL of the devotions--so many rich nuggets! Several of the points have lingered with me, but the one I haven't been able to shake is the "worship" one. It's always sort of bugged me that we say, "So-an-so is going to lead us in worship." What??? When did we start calling song service worship? I don't think worship is something you can be LED in. Maybe I just don't understand. I think you're exactly on target when you point out that worship is NOT a song. It's not singing. Anybody can sing a song--even a Christian song--but that doesn't mean they're worshipping. I've known some excellent song leaders who can stir people's emotions, but they don't live a worshipful lifestyle. To them, worship is just a song. If that's all it is, they excell. But if worship entails a lifestyle change, a life of sacrifice and surrender to God, they fall way short. May I truly WORSHIP by living a life of surrender, a life of emulating Christ is my words and deeds, in my attitudes, in producing the Fruit of the Spirit! May I be faithful in not only church attendance, but in daily prayer and Bible study and in keeping my vessel pure from sinful defilements. May all those "ites" that Sister Horne taught about be totally annihilated in my life! AMEN!
Thank you for your timely and anointed devotions. They were truly a blessing. LOVED the invisible cloak, by the way. :-)So creative and thought provoking.

Tammy Washburn said...

Thank you Sis. Smith.
I'm praying about your Theme now and the direction for the class. Can't wait to get to TN Ladies Retreat!

I'm actually planning to see you this weekend at Zion Hill Sunday morning. We'll be celebrating Alaena's birthday Saturday and will drop in on Sunday. Hear there is a Revival, Dinner, etc. Sounds fun!

A Sister shared with me that her sinner husband listened to christian music every night and she couldn't understand why he didn't listen to the words and get saved. I told her that he was using the music as a barrier, a wall against God.(think Saul & David). The soothing music pushed aside the dark loneliness, but also drowned out the still "small voice". I've known lots of sinner husbands who loved to attend "Church Singings", but they had no intention of getting saved. I like Glenn Miller music, but not a word of it can save my soul.