I am now a Bona-Fide Ladies Retreater. It's taken 4 Retreats to make me that way, but the last two, AL & TN have "done me in". My daughter commented that "something is different" in the church. She just thought it was at the Assembly, but she saw it again at TN Retreat, the urgent desire to become perfected and committed, getting rid of everything between us and God. I told her that BTI, AL Retreat and Conventions have all been the same way. If I had missed those retreats this year, I would be that much less perfected and committed. (However, I still don't like "girly topics" that women normally like ie: "we're all a bunch of broken pots or "let's all gaze in the mirror and meditate" stuff, but if all retreats are good solid doctrine like these two, I'm all for it.) Sis. Bishop's preaching is as great as always! She is so cool and funny. We love her!
The TN Ladies are just as sweet as AL Ladies of course and we had a great time. I do enjoy the "hotel" aspect slightly better (for when I want to actually sleep), but then missed the "pajama party" that AL is able to have since the bunkrooms are right off the meeting area. Either way was great.
I told Sis. Anders after Sis. Smith's class on FORGIVENESS that we boo-hooed the first time around and here we are boo-hooing the second time around. Either we need to hear the class every month or one of these days we'll GET IT RIGHT!!! (Personally I think I need her notes just to have a monthly check-up to make sure nothing has sneaked back in.) Sis. Cox is so good with devotions. I enjoyed every one of them. Our Tap Group Leader and Sis. Cox taught on the "eye pupil" the very same day. Sis. Cox touched on what Sis. Brown taught, but then took us into another aspect of the topic. No contradictions, just all in unity. It's very neat how the Holy Ghost ties everyone's topics together, entertwining them without each other's prior knowledge. (except, yes I did know what Sis. Smith was teaching and wrote the hide-away devotion accordingly. :-) Alaena has asked me if I knew in advance, since the devotion took up where she left off. But the Holy Ghost still helped me write it.)
As for TAP Groups, I absolutely GIVE UP! God has totally turned me into a big sobbing TAP group cry-baby to my utter dismay. Sis. Horne was going to buy a ticket to come to my tap group just to watch. I kept the location secret or she forgot. God has such a sense of humor. I was just sitting there enjoying Sis. Cindy Brown teach us about being the "apple of God's eye" when she asked us what has recently happened in our lives that made us know that we are the apple of God's eye. I suddenly thought of my little wooden Ark and the bigger life issues surrounding it and when it came my turn to share, I just know that the other group on the other side of the room heard me sobbing. Either I have to avoid Tap Group all together or just give in. Quit laughing Mom...Alaena...Sis. Horne!!! I probably should give up and go to a couple's retreat and just get it all over and done with..go light a unity candle or something! You know it's coming!!! ~shakes head in mock disgust~ ;-)
Fortunately, we discovered that it is a good idea to let a couple of Bishops work the kitchen at Ladies Retreat. Besides taking the load off the Director regarding kitchen duties, they came in handy when one of the ladies HAD TO, right then and there renew her Covenant and become Baptised again. There were 5-6 Ladies who renewed their covenants and the one lady baptized in the hotel's indoor pool. That just may be a first for Ladies Retreat, at least in the States, I don't know.
I'm proud that my daughter was able to interpret for the deaf lady at Retreat. In doing so, we found out another lady in TN used to interpret, but she had rusty skills. Now she is going home to brush up so that she and Alaena can team up. It's a very difficult thing to listen and interpret so fast..besides how tiring it is. It was the first times she ever interpreted the Covenant. I told her that she definitely needs to memorize that one because it looks like she'll be doing that alot. She said that the deaf lady was very, very attentive to that particular session.
During free time, Alaena and I drove to Sevierville for retail therapy and enjoyed the Fall colors on the way there and back. It was so crowded and we only got in 45 minutes of actual shopping, but Alaena came away with a nice wool jacket so she was happy.
After retreat, I made it to Alaena's apartment and was so sleepy that I had to lay down for a power nap to make it home. I had a good trip home and made it in about 7:30pm. When Mike got out of church, he talked to me on the phone for the last 30 minutes, keeping me company.
On top of our local church revival that started on Sunday, Monday morning, the workers showed up early and now there is hammering, nailing, banging, etc. while putting new siding on my house. It will probably take 4-5 days to be finished. Hopefully it will install a "cute factor" on the old house we live in. Along with revival and siding, my job has suddenly shifted into high gear and I'm very busy there. God did touch my kidney pain at retreat, but my hip is still hurting today and I'm a bit weary...but I think "someone" ;-) at Ladies Retreat said, "God can heal and restore you on the run...so run for God." (or something to that effect. Ha! sometimes your words will come back to haunt you.)
Wonderful Retreat! Praying for Colorado's Retreat! (wish I could be there.)
1 comment:
I didn't know there was anothr TN lady who could sign. I thought it was a wonderful addition to have a deaf lady and interpretor for her. That's a first for me, too. --I don't know of another USA Retreat where there have been covenant renewals, and certainly not a baptismal service. At one VA/WV Retreat about 6 years ago we had Communion and Feet Washing. It was BEAUTIFUL! We had a couple of bishops come visit that evening to serve the Communion. That was a really beautiful service. We even drank from the same cup, passing it down the line. I loved the "community" of it, and authenticity. I really don't believe Jesus and the disciples were germaphobias. ;-) --In Nicaragua there was a baptismal service and a couple (man and wife) joined the Church there.
I thought it was a great Retreat! The Lord's presence was so near and you could see Him working in people's hearts and lives.
I'm so thrilled you've been converted into a real live Retreater! :-) I think you would really like Couple's Retreat, too. It just depends on who the Guest Speakers are, how mushy it is. It's usually not bad at all. Of course, I won't guarantee anything! But you ought to give it a try, if nothing else just to hear the latest installment of Brother Smith's "book." HA!
Post a Comment