I overheard a young man...

while eating at Jason's Deli, probably between the age of 18-20 earnestly speaking with an older man (anywhere from age 35-45) about his soul.  I could hear the young man clearly since I was facing him from my booth, but only heard the older man in muffled tones since his back was to me.  Evidently the older man had given up on God. I could hear the young man encouraging to come back to God so that he would not be lost.  The older man switched tactics and started blaming "the church and its hypocrites" for his failures, but the young man patiently urged him to forget the past and try again so that he wouldn't be lost.  The young man then started telling him how wonderful his church was, how they didn't sugar coat the gospel, how excited he was to attend every service.  At this the man became more animated, waving his hands and I could see the disappointment in the determined young man's face as he patiently listened and answered the older man's reservations.  During this time, I prayed silently at my seat for the young man's cause and to soften the older man's heart.  If the young man happened to glance my way, he could see me praying for him.  After a while I got up and as I was passing by their booth, I looked the young man in the eye and smiled and nodded at him.

This week the world wept because another young man (20 years old) unflinchlingly gunned babies down in cold blood.  I was fortunate enough to hear another young man earnestly pleading for another man's soul.  I pray that he will listen.

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

There's no "like" button to push, so I'll do it manually:

LIKE

:-)

Tammy Washburn said...

I prayed the older man will stop and realize this week how fortunate he is to have the younger man's care and concern, before it is too late.