A Biblical Bedtime Story

Once upon an eternity there ARE three wonderful Masters. The first wonderful Master has a great big voice that says, “Thou shalt not have any other god’s before me.” The second wonderful master has a medium sized voice that says, “I am the way, the truth, and the life.” The third wonderful Master has a still small voice that speaks words of Joy unspeakable and full of Glory.

Gazing over their kingdom, the three Wonderful Masters observed a young Christian servant entering their house. They allowed him to do as he pleased because they gave everyone free choice to do either good or evil. Their house was filled with abundant riches that would help all those who entered to make their choice.

Entering the house, the young Christian servant found a prepared table set before him with three different places to eat. The first place held a plate heaped full of sizzling meat accompanied with a cup running over with fragrant liquid. Fearing that the meal might prove too much for him, the young servant looked to the other plate which was equally as full, holding fruit of the vine and a loaf of bread. Perceiving he could have everything on the table if he desired, he declined the second dish also; choosing rather to content himself with what was left, a lukewarm glass of milk.

Next the young Christian servant sought a place to rest. Finding three chairs he saw that on each chair was written the word “RESPONSIBILITY”. The young Christian servant sat down in the chair of “MUCH RESPONSIBILITY” that was also labeled “SACRIFICIAL LIVING”. Feeling that prayer, fasting and holy living was too much a load to bear; he decided the chair was much too hard. Gazing at the second chair that was also labeled “SOUL WINNING”, he decided not to even try that chair and chose instead a little chair in the corner that was labeled “RESPONSIBILITY TO ONESELF”. Pleased with this restful looking chair, the young Christian servant heaved a sigh of relief and sat down to rest. But unfortunately, like the heart of the three wonderful Masters, the little chair broke!

Picking himself off the floor, the young Christian servant decided to explore the house a little more. Opening a door, he found himself in a beautiful quiet room that appeared to be a perfect place for prayer, study and devotions. From the room’s only window, he could see the three wonderful Master’s fields that were white, ready for the harvest. Upon the room’s only table lay the most beautiful book any eye could behold. Opening the cover, the young Christian servant was seized with a hunger and thirst to study this book. But after a few minutes his eyes grew so heavy, that he chose instead to lie down on the only other piece of furniture in the room, a bed of slumber. The young Christian servant soon fell fast asleep.

Momentarily reviving from his sleep, the young servant thought about his Master’s returning home and finding him in such a state, but quickly dismissed the thought. He felt that it would be a very long time before they would return and that he would have plenty of time to make himself ready. Consoling himself with these thoughts, the young servant rolled over and fell into an even deeper sleep.

The three wonderful Masters decided to return and confront the young servant. Waking him they asked, “Did you not realize all the work that needed to be done? All the riches that are in our house are for your benefit and free to anyone that asks. You could have shared our plenteous gifts with others. All we asked for in return was your REASONABLE SERVICE. Instead, you chose to selfishly follow the path that didn’t require of you any labor and fell fast asleep. You are an unprofitable servant who will be cast into outer darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”

Moral: For many are called, but few are chosen. (Mt 22:14)

Anybody Sleepy yet?

(written by Tammy Washburn)

9 comments:

Momma Tammi said...

God has truly given you the gift of storytelling and bringing things into perspective. If you share something on your blog that jumps out and says, "MUST go into regional paper!" may I use it? I will be sure and give credit to you. You have so many wonderful things to get our attention, I just feel compelled to share them, if that is okay with you.

Tammy Washburn said...

Yes, you have my permission to print anything on this blog that you want :)
Thanks!

SIS-MC said...

Sis Tammy
This is absolutely wonderful. We have so much work to do--so little time to do it. Thank you for your inspirational thoughts and ideas.
Love and prayers

Momma Tammi said...

Have you noticed how many people spell your name with an "i" after I have posted something on here? They change mine to a "y" if you post on my blog. Too funny.

Haley Rachelle said...

I think that this story is very challenging and brings out a lot Scriptual truth. I know it convicted me. Thank you so much for sharing.

Tammy Washburn said...

Wow. I didn't realize so many were reading this. I really did feel the presence of the Lord when I wrote this story a few years ago. It truly came from HIS inspiration, not my own brain.

The reason I started this blog was to remind myself to think on the good things of God (especially now). I wanted to encourage, uplift & challenge myself and anyone else who wanted to read it.

I also wanted to meet other positive, encouraging & inpiring ladies from The Church of God...and I have! Thank you for letting me get to know you.

I recognize the last name of Clawson because you probably know my parents and sister/family in Texas.

Yes, Sis. Tammi...it looks like our spelling is interchangeable. That's okay. I attended a school of 486 students (K-12) and five of those were Tammy. Three were in High School and one was my best friend! Our teacher just gave up and called "Tammy!" She didn't care which one answered, as long as one of us did. So whether spelled Tammi or Tammy...one of us will answer...that's all that matters!!

Vicki Smith said...

I'm here, too, Sister TammY, and enjoying your inspirational posts. :-)

Anonymous said...

Tammy, thank the Lord for your openness to Him and receiving inspiration that inspires me, too. You truly have a beautiful gift. I've enjoyed reading many of your postings, along with my wife and daughter. Hello to all of your family!

Tammy Washburn said...

Thank you Sis. Smith and Bro. Darrell!