
Ac 9:36 Now there was at Joppa a certain disciple named Tabitha, which by interpretation is called Dorcas: this woman was full of good works and almsdeeds which she did.
My fondest childhood Mission memories are of weekly Dorcas Club meetings. My Mother, Grandmother and Aunts always had so much fun working for the Lord that I looked forward to participating during the summer months. Along with their Bible Studies and fervent prayers, I enjoyed making Christmas ornaments to sell in the Fall Bazaar; some of which hang on my Christmas tree even now.
I remember hearing my mother praying over the fried pie dough, asking God to "bless the pies and bless those who bought them". I loved tasting the filling (apricot & apple) and playing with the excess dough. Memories of those hardworking, church-loving, God serving Missionary Ladies still brings me joy today.
Looking back, I realize that organizing their WMB group had to be a labor of love. Why? Because four out of the six ladies drove 45 minutes to church one way and organizing a Dorcas club added an extra day of travel when they could have easily just stayed home. Many hours were spent sewing, baking and selling; all for the love of Missions.
These Missionary women kept the flame burning for their generation and left a legacy to mine. Their extra efforts are the foundations we build upon now. Some of these faithful women warriors have gone on to their reward and their shining deeds, like Dorcas’, are monuments to their memory.
They heeded the call of the Cross and they gave what they could to the Lord through their time, effort and talent. Although they never walked in foreign lands to spread the gospel, they did walk into many a hometown business to sell a cake and testify of God’s wonderful love.
I wonder how many souls in a far away country owe their eternity to a fried apple pie? I love Missions, I love The Church of God, I love working for and serving the Lord.
Pastry for Fried Pies
4 1/2 cups flour
1 egg
3/4 cup shorting
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 can cream
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 can water
2 teaspoons backing power
Sift flour, salt, baking power and sugar. Cut in shorting in flour. Beat egg and milk together. Mix with flour mixture. Make 4 balls of dough. Roll out thin, cut out size of saucer, fill with large tablespoon of fruit filling, fold, put milk around edge of dough, crimp with fork dipped in flour. Drop in hot pan of oil, cook until golden brown. Drain.
Fruit for Fried Pies
1 package dried fruit
1 cup sugar
1/4 stick butter
Cook fruit until tender and mash. Add sugar and butter, mash together. Cook a little while. Cool.
5 comments:
MISS YOU!!!
Miss you too girl! Praying for you. Dustin is such a depressed mopey-head around here :)
Aww me too. but not that much. Yeah thanks for the prayer. i have been meaning to talk to you. Please call me.
thanks.
love you!
The only times I can call you are the times you are already on the phone with my son! Ha! :)
So, I'll guess, I'll just pry the phone out of his hands and we'll talk. You'll have to tell him to let me have the phone for a little while. :)
Tammy
yeah thats fine with me. pry it out of him! haha.im sure he wont mind it for the first few minutes.!:)
Post a Comment