D&R Object Lesson for Sunday School

I read this object lesson somewhere a long time ago and will use it this Sunday or the next.

Give out a small ball of yellow playdough and another small ball of blue playdough (or any two colors) and have the class knead them together. It will, of course, become one green piece. Then ask them to separate it again. They will now have two green pieces of playdough.

Then tell them..."I meant separate it back into yellow and blue"...which is impossible.

This is the way it is with marriage. Two becomes one and cannot be made twain again. When a married couple gets a "divorce", they are still ONE; but they are just torn apart.


Here is a scripture (highlighted) not always used in conjunction with Divorce & Remarriage. A lot of people have a list of excuses why they don’t need to get out of the adulterous situation, but the following scripture is very clear:

Mat 5:27-32
Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement: But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.


Jesus is this serious about adultery.
It is better to get out of the adulterous marriage (pluck it out, cast it away, perish) than to go to hell. But what about the children in this “happy” second marriage? If someone is living in adultery, they are teaching the children (who are already affected by the sin of the parents) that continuing in sin is acceptable, thus leading them down the path to hell as it is.

2 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

Excellent. I used the Play-Doh illustration once when teaching a class.
I'd really like for you to e-mail me your Camp lesson material. It looks so awesome. I'd like to put it in my files and hang on to it.
Are you rested up yet? I think I am. *raising eyebrow*

Tammy Washburn said...

Thanks, Will email it to you and I'll also email Haley's lesson to you. She is already working on improving it though! :)

Then you might have been the one! My kids probably brought the illustration home from BTI. I couldn't remember, it's been so long ago.

I gave out 2 colors of play dough during the Increase/Decrease lesson at camp for them to "form it" (squeeze it...this is how pliable our hearts should be and not let them be aired out and hardened in this world)....then mix together to "transform it" into another color....and then mold it into a shape "conform it" to their will....then squish it! because the "maker" could do anything it wanted to with it and the playdough couldn't question it.


I've been going to bed by 8:30 almost every night and that's only after making myself stay up!!! I felt like I could have slept standing up at work a couple of days ago. The 4th of July, we went out to eat, cleaned house and tried to rest up. I think I'm caught up for now....JUST IN TIME to figure out my talk for State Convention in a couple of weeks!