The Resurrection and The Life

John 11:32 Then when Mary was come where Jesus was, and saw him, she fell down at his feet, saying unto him, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died.

Here was the cry of a confused & hurting woman who was maybe even a little angry. Why did she question Jesus?

Let’s look into the scriptures a little further.
Joh 11:1-6 1 Now a certain man was sick, named Lazarus, of Bethany, the town of Mary and her sister Martha. (It was that Mary which (later on) anointed the Lord with ointment, and wiped his feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was sick.) Therefore his sisters sent unto him, saying, Lord, behold, he whom thou lovest is sick. When Jesus heard that, he said, This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby. Now Jesus loved Martha, and her sister, and Lazarus. When he had heard therefore that he was sick, he abode two days still in the same place where he was.

WHAT? Usually, when we hear that our LOVED ONES are sick, we usually pack our bags and run to help. Mary and Martha sent a servant to tell Jesus their brother was sick and they expected immediate response because “He Loves us”. They saw him heal complete strangers, but surely he would come even quicker for someone he LOVED!

But Jesus delayed his coming for 2 more days. I’m sure that when the servant returned to Mary and Martha that they asked him… “Why isn’t he with you? Is he coming? What did he say?” And the servant, sadly shook his head and said, “No, he just stayed there and said, This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby..” I’m sure the two sisters gasped in amazement that Jesus had not come, but grabbed onto that glimmer of hope as they worriedly looked to their gravely ill brother. And yet, their brother still died.

Joh 11:7, 11-15,17, 20 Then after that saith he to his disciples, Let us go into Judaea again. 11 Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep. Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well. Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep. Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead. And I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, to the intent ye may believe; nevertheless let us go unto him. 17 Then when Jesus came, he found that he had lain in the grave four days already.

20 Then Martha, as soon as she heard that Jesus was coming, went and met him: but Mary sat still in the house.

Uh oh. You know everybody always puts down Martha and praises Mary, but it seemed that Martha had learned her lesson. Jesus might have gently urged Martha to put down her broom and pay attention to the words of God, but Mary still must have missed something. Mary may have thought that since, SHE was the ONE who sat at Jesus feet, that he owed her something special and she was overwhelmed with hurt and maybe even a little angry.

Don’t we all feel this way sometimes? We’re good obedient members of The Church of God. God should not allow anything bad happen to us. Especially to ME…a good saved, sanctified, Holy Ghost filled Tithe payer like myself! Sometimes we find ourselves MAD at God. He ALLOWED THIS to happen to me and I DIDN’T DESERVE IT!!!!!

Joh 11:21-24 Then said Martha unto Jesus, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died. But I know, that even now, whatsoever thou wilt ask of God, God will give it thee. Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again. Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.

Martha shared her hurt and frustration with Jesus, but she still clung to her Faith in Jesus.

PAY ATTENTION TO JESUS’ WORDS: Joh 11:25-29, 32 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this? She saith unto him, Yea, Lord: I believe that thou art the Christ, the Son of God, which should come into the world.

28 And when she had so said, she went her way, and called Mary her sister secretly, saying, The Master is come, and calleth for thee. As soon as she heard that, she arose quickly, and came unto him. 32 Then when Mary was come where Jesus was, and saw him, she fell down at his feet, saying unto him, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died.

It seems here that at first, hurting & confused Mary (let me re-emphasis that: hurting, confused Mary) didn’t go to see Jesus until he called for her. Until HE acknowledged her pain.

Have you ever felt like this? “You know how much I am hurting God. I know you see my pain. You didn’t fix my problem when I needed it and now I am hurt, confused and broken hearted. I’m not going to do anything, but sit and suffer until you fix my problem and make it go away.”

Joh 11:33-40 When Jesus therefore saw her weeping, and the Jews also weeping which came with her, he groaned in the spirit, and was troubled, And said, Where have ye laid him? They said unto him, Lord, come and see. Jesus wept. Then said the Jews, Behold how he loved him! And some of them said, Could not this man, which opened the eyes of the blind, have caused that even this man should not have died? Jesus therefore again groaning in himself cometh to the grave. It was a cave, and a stone lay upon it. Jesus said, Take ye away the stone. Martha, the sister of him that was dead, saith unto him, Lord, by this time he stinketh: for he hath been dead four days. 40 Jesus saith unto her, Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

Jesus is lovingly telling the faithful sisters. I know it seems like I’ve come too late. I know it seems like the situation has gotten completely out of hand and can never be fixed. I know the problems look entirely insurmountable. I know that you think I don’t love you and you feel forsaken and alone. But…. Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?

There are times, when we have brought our petitions to the Lord but it seems that nothing is happening. We have fervently sought for deliverance, prayed for healing, expressed our Love and Worship, tried to learn, but when we don’t have our answer yet, we’re there at His feet asking “WHY Lord?” Why did my husband die? Why did I lose my job? Why aren’t my children saved? Why is my family suffering? Why hasn’t my healing come? and on and on and on…

We think our problems are too big, too overwhelming, and have become a big stinky mess for Jesus to take care of. We may not believe Jesus really understands what we’re going through OR we might even believe that Jesus does not realize what we think HE IS putting us through!!!

While all the while: Jesus’ Spirit….groaning and troubled….answers us:

Joh 11: 25,26 I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: (your sinner husband and children can be saved)

And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this? (your mother who died is with me)

Jesus even weeps with us and says: “Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?”

HOW DOES JESUS UNDERSTAND OUR DOUBTS & QUESTIONS?
Because HE asked them himself …on the cross.

Let’s remember JESUS’ last words on the cross:
Mt 27:46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

What a question! Even the Son of God, who foreknew the Great Salvation Plan and the price he would have to pay felt alone and forsaken on the cross. He was human enough to understand our hurt, our pain, and our confusion. Let’s learn something from His other words spoken on the cross.

Joh 19:28 After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst. Still in the midst of unimaginable horror and suffering….JESUS still ACCOMPLISHED & FULFILLED GOD’S WORD

Luke 23:46 "Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit." He still LOVED & TRUSTED GOD. He laid his life into his Father’s hands.

Joh 19:30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost. Jesus was still OBEDIENT AND ENDURED TO THE END. He finished.

EVEN THOUGH WE MIGHT HAVE QUESTIONS AS TO GOD’S WILL FOR OUR LIVES AND THE CIRCUMSTANCES SURROUNDING OUR LIVES, WE STILL ARE TO:
1. ACCOMPLISH & FULFILL GOD’S WORD
2. LOVE & TRUST GOD
3. BE OBEDIENT & ENDURE TO THE END

The Apostle Paul did the same thing: 2Ti 4:7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith

But I’m still hurting, confused, heart broken, angry. Why hasn’t my relief come yet??? Doesn’t God love me? I need my help now!

Remember: Mary and Martha were actually telling Jesus. “Didn’t you love us enough to show up sooner? If you had been here, the man you loved, our brother, wouldn’t have died. We know that you love us, but you came too late. We believe in the resurrection, but that doesn’t help us now.” But remember, to have a Resurrection, there first must be a death.

The most vivid image of being at Jesus’ feet is at the Foot of the Cross. Later, Mary was one of those who gathered at the Cross that day. With her were people who loved and wept for him, guards who mocked and stole from Him; crowds who scorned and watched Him--they were all there, They could all see the dirt, the cuts, the bruises and the gaping wounds on the feet of Jesus that poured blood because of the nails that were driven through them.

JESUS WAS FINALLY PROVING HIS LOVE FOR THE WHOLE WORLD TO SEE.
Every ragged breath Jesus breathed on the cross was a sigh of LOVE.
Every muscles and sinew racked with pain was a burden of LOVE.
Every drop of blood that was shed was literally liquid LOVE.

Jesus other LAST WORDS ON THE CROSS proved his faithful and everlasting love. In the midst of His horrible, unimaginable suffering He took the TIME to commit acts of love by making sure his mother was taken care of and that a thief was forgiven of his sins.

Then he performed the ultimate act of love for all mankind when he petitioned God to forgive his tormentors and all of mankind by uttering these words. Luke 23:34 Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.

I love Carmen’s song: "This Blood is for you"
This blood can save the soul, Heal the sick, mend the heart,
This blood can give you access, To the very throne of God,
And it still can go the distance, From the pain to where you are,
This blood is for you, (If you’re lost and alone, and your mind is confused)
This blood is for you, (If you feel like you have been hurt and abused)
This blood is for you, The Atoning cleansing blood of the Lamb

Jesus words still calls out to us today:

“I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this? “Said I not unto thee, that, if thou wouldest believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God?”


Tammy Washburn 2006

No comments: