Day Four (Part 1) - Arizona, Tues. Sept 2

We left Flagstaff and decided to take a sky lift to the top of the San Fransisco Peak, the highest point in AZ. Unfortunately, when we got there, it was closed. Probably after the busy Labor Day weekend, the workers had the day off. But the drive up there was pretty, the view gorgeous and at the top, there was an Aspen Grove (white bark)and Alpine meadow. Always read about them in westerns, but never walked in one...so we did. You can't catch it on camera, but all the leaves are roundish, hanging by a thin filament...so they flutter in the breeze different than any other tree. So in the wind...the whole tree looks like it is sparkling in the breeze.
From Arizona Vacation Part Two

From Arizona Vacation Part Two

From Arizona Vacation Part Two

From Arizona Vacation Part Two

From Arizona Vacation Part Two

After coming back down the mountain, we decided to backtrack a few miles back to flagstaff, to check out Williams, AZ and I stopped for the wildflowers.
From Arizona Vacation Part Two

From Arizona Vacation Part Two

From Arizona Vacation Part Two

From Arizona Vacation Part Two

Williams, AZ is a small town near the gateway of the Grand Canyon and old Route 66 runs right down the middle of it. We bought Mike a souvenier metal Route U.S. 66 sign to hang up back home. They have all the old hotels and stuff there. The Grand Canyon train starts here.
From Arizona Vacation Part Two

From Arizona Vacation Part Two

A Wicker motor cycle:
From Arizona Vacation Part Two

From Arizona Vacation Part Two

Cruiser's Diner (in an old gas station) where we ate lunch:
From Arizona Vacation Part Two

From Arizona Vacation Part Two

From Arizona Vacation Part Two

From Arizona Vacation Part Two

At the diner, my batteries went dead and my lens locked up. I seriously thought my camera was broken and thought we would have to go back to Flagstaff to buy a new one. Because I was NOT going to The Grand Canyon without a camera. We bought new batteries and twiddled with the lens and it started working again! Whew!
I was taking 150-200 photos per day and my camara says "batteries exhausted" when they are dead. I went through at least 5 sets of batteries on this trip and cleared out my memory card twice after I downloaded onto the computer and picassa. It's hard choosing pix out of so many to represent or tell the story for my blog.

The next post will finally be of the Grand Canyon!!!!

4 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

You have got some AMAZING pictures! They look totally professional. Honestly, they could be in a magazine! You've really got an eye for capturing great perspective shots. And what memories you'll be able to keep alive because of all the great photos.

Tammy Washburn said...

Thank you! But I have to make a confession ;) I just pointed and shot. Half the time I couldn't see what was on the camera screen because of the bright sunlight. It all looked dark. I would set up the shot, click and then try to get in the shade to see if I got anything. Crossed my fingers and hoped I had bought a good camera....and then went back to the hotel room and even now am amazed anything turned out.

I never could figure out how to make the screen brighter. People who took pix of us couldn't see in the camera screen either.

The other half of the time...as you will see later...I was hanging out the car window or holding the camera out the window and taking pix in the wind of sunsets, mountains and elk!!!

Tammy Washburn said...

Honestly too...the country is just that beautiful. You just easily get great pix!

Momma Tammi said...

Beautiful pictures...I especially like the one of the waving grass with the dandelion in front...TOTALLY AWESOME!