Day Four (Part Two) Tues, Sept. 2

We're here!!!!

From Arizona Trip Part Three


From Williams, the terrain is flat or slightly hilly with miles of miles of small trees. Nothing impressive and not clue to the grandeur beyond.


From Arizona Vacation Part Two




The camera CANNOT, absolutely CANNOT capture the Grand Canyon. Even standing there on the rim...it looks like a painting. You cannot grasp it, even while looking at it. It all just makes you dizzy! I would walk to the edge and Mike would just get a little dizzy watching me. In the above pix, I asked Mike to bring me my camera when I was on that rock that jutted out (this was an illusion, there was a even larger ledge below me about 10 feet down, but he couldn't see it) and he just teetered and looked like a high wire act balancing on a wire. He said that people were fixing to see a grown man crawl! hahhaaha! If I didn't look down, I didn't get dizzy.
Here was the pix I took when he finally got the camera to me.



From Arizona Vacation Part Two



However, a man did crawl down there and stand on the rock further down in the above pix. No way for me! You can't see him because he moved right when I took the pix.

As we walked along the canyon rim there was a good bit of time when we were completely alone. I guess everyone else was on the other end of the trail. It felt like we had the whole Grand Canyon to ourselves! How romantic!



From Arizona Vacation Part Two




Mr. Dizzy himself:



From Arizona Vacation Part Two




I can't resist scaring my mother! But once again...it's an illusion Mom! ;) :) I'm not that brave.



From Arizona Vacation Part Two




Mike was fine if there was a railing or wall...but most of the canyon is just....step off into nothing. It was crazy watching the college kid do handstands on a cliff or balance on a wall for pix. Mike would start praying for them :) :) as in "oh, God help them!" and afterwards I would look over the wall where they were standing and it would be straight down to nothing! They did need help...because one slip...



From Arizona Vacation Part Two






From Arizona Vacation Part Two






From Arizona Vacation Part Two






From Arizona Vacation Part Two




Back on safer ground! Whew!



From Arizona Vacation Part Two






From Arizona Vacation Part Two




I thought this rock looked like a bird.



From Arizona Vacation Part Two


From Arizona Vacation Part Two




Guess what strolled out in front of our car! I got unclear pix of the female and baby, but I hung out the window to get this one and focused on the patch of sunlight until big Daddy Elk walked through it.



From Arizona Vacation Part Two






From Arizona Vacation Part Two




We went to find our hotel room on the rim and this was the view FROM our hotel window. !!! The Thunderbird Lodge.



From Arizona Vacation Part Two






From Arizona Vacation Part Two


By this time it was getting close to sunset, so we found a point to watch it from. Here is the canyon in a different light of the setting sun!

From Arizona Vacation Part Two



From Arizona Vacation Part Two






From Arizona Vacation Part Two






From Arizona Vacation Part Two




Just can't hardly stand it...can you!!!!
See the moon in this pix?



From Arizona Vacation Part Two







From Arizona Vacation Part Two



After sunset, we went back to room to rest and get ready for our dinner reservation (8:45 pm, but got to get seated at 8:30) at the El Tovar hotel which was built in 1913(?). We had an elegant, but casual gourmet dinner. :)


From Arizona Vacation Part Two



It is very eery to walk along the rim in the dark. It is completely black. You know there is a vast depth just inside that darkness and it's kind of scary! With no railings...I have heard...that people lose their lives on accident or own purpose. :(

After the dinner, as we strolled back to the hotel (I know, I'm rubbing it in :) the night sky...with just a sliver of moon was so clear....that for the first time in my life, I actually saw the milky way very clearly! I was astounded at the bright starlit sky!

5 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

Yes, you ARE rubbing it in! But that's okay. I'm enjoying it in my memory as I look at the pictures and read your commentary. :-) How wonderful, and yet how sad, that you've never been able to clearly see the Milky Way. It's amazing, isn't it? When we lived in the mountains of Colorado we had a hot tub on our back patio. I loved to sit out there at night, in the bubbling water, and watch shooting stars and gaze at the Milky Way. It brings a new understanding to God's promise to Abraham, doesn't it? (Gen. 15:5) It was my habit that when we would return home at night, after getting out of the car I would stop and just look up at the clear night sky and look at the sparkly, twinkling stars spanning from horizon to horizon. And out west the horizon is SO MUCH larger because there aren't humongous trees closing in on every side.
Your pictures, once again, are spectacular! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing!!! I feel like I've been on vacation with you!

Tammy Washburn said...

It looked like I as in a planeterium (sp?) I got to see a bigger sky in Texas when I was a kid...but I still think it was still too hazy to see the milky way sooooo clearly where we lived. The Grand Canyon is so far out from the city smog and lights.

I hoped all ya'll would enjoy the pix! Momma Tammi inspired me on my trip to California to try to take "beauty art pix" and I tried even harder this time!

Vicki Smith said...

You did a FABULOUS job! And I forgot to mention the awesome shot of the elk! My husband would have had a bad case of "itchy trigger finger"!!! LOL.

Tammy Washburn said...

Yes, I thought of all the poor hunters out there. That Elk was sooo bold...because he KNOWS he's protected in a National Forest. He can afford to stroll with his family anytime and anywhere he wants!

Momma Tammi said...

I think that you succeeded in your effort to catch the beauty of God's creation.