D.C. Trip - Day Three

Note: I've updated the previous Post with pix to go with narration:

DAY THREE:
Even though it was still cooooold....thankfully, the wind quit blowing so hard.
The Third Day of our trip...we got up and tried out the Metro. Which early on a Sunday...is very empty...which is very good...because the workers had time to help the foreign AL people figure out how to buy tickets and where to go. :) :)





Note: All the pix are now downloaded and I had to make a Washington Trip #2 Album for the last few. You can double click on the pix and it will take you to the albums.

Our first tour was INSIDE the Washington Monument. TIP: It's best to go online (which we did)and book the tour in advance and go ahead and pay the 1.50 fee per ticket for the free tour. No standing in lines and you also know what tours are available. Just pick the tickets up the day before your tour and voila!...easy.

Here are some the pix from the top:




(Yep that's ice on the water)




Where you pick up those tickets at and store.







The lights flasing at the TOP of the monument....so planes won't accidently hit it I suppose in a fog.







TIP #2
Now that you see the great distances. It is wise(er) to book the "TourMobile" that will let you hop on and off in front of all the sites WHEN you want to get on and off...so you don't have to spend your time walking or feel that you need a feet transplant! (We unfortunately did not realize the value of this service). Don't let the off season price of $27(1day)-$37(2day) per person scare you off...it would have been worth every penny...even at full price. I wish we had done it.

Our next stop...gave me an unusual reaction that I didn't expect. I fully expected to be absolutely teary over the Holocaust Museum...to the point I brought plenty of tissues. But.......that's not the reaction I had.

1. First emotion: Sadness. As you tour this museum, you of course, know the end results and could see the impending doom and disaster...even though the people in the pictures could not know what was coming.

2. Second emotion: Apprehension and even a little fear. As you can see how "modern events" are currently unfolding from lessons unlearned from the past.

3. Third Emotion: Righteous Indignation. In one area, they told how the Jews had been blamed for everything. The Plague, the downfall of the economy, etc, etc, etc. How they were victims (and they were) of smear campaigns and propoganda.

Then in the next room...it changed. The video said..."The Christians" were to blame for the Jew's demise since Christ. The Christians were to blame for the Jew's demise during the Dark Ages. The Christians were to blame for the Jew's disfavour. The Christians...The Christians..The Christians. Each time, the word said in "disgust". The same exact propoganda in one room was just the flipside of the coin in the other. This video made sure that Christianity was slandered.

After that, we pretty much quickly walked through the museum. Yes, it was emotional, and yet, it was very much striking to see the piles of hair, shoes, personal belongings that had been taken from the victims of the holocaust at the death camps. Pictures of whole communities...faces of those who did not make it. The bunk beds that Corey Ten Boom described in her book are really on exhibit. The miniature gas chambers depicting miniaature people being gased and then burned are horrifying.

But, I just couldn't get out of my mind....that the world has NOT learned from it's past....and it will be repeated.





After this, we hit the Metro again and found a McD's to eat at, then went to the Museum of Flight. Enjoy the pix. (You can double click on any picture and it will take you to the full album.) Of course, we feel affinity for the Wright Brothers.























At this point....we were exhausted. Somewhere in the Space Race room, Mike went into a "coma" ;) :) (not really, but he felt like it.) I tried to snap him out of it by calling him an "old man", but it didn't work. Ha! ;) :) We left and took the metro back to the hotel room and took a couple hours nap. I lasted about one hour more than Mike did. By the time I got back to the room...I was comatose too. Ha!

We rested and made plans to tour D.C. at night to see the monuments all lit up.

7 comments:

Momma Tammi said...

Awesome pictures. The second one of the metro...WOW! You caught it in motion and still managed to have the front of it in focus...ya did REAL good!

Isn't it biblical to always have a scapegoat? That's what the Jews were and now that's what Christians are.

Tammy Washburn said...

Ha!...that would be an accident!

I MEANT to take a pix of the train standing still..but accidently turn my camera off instead of taking a picture. I quickly clicked it on again and then the train just took off! It is very, very fast. I clicked as fast
as I could and that's what I got.

Unknown said...

Sis. Tammy,
In actuality, many who called themselves Christians in the past, did heavily persecute the Jews, especially during the Dark Ages and Middle Ages. It has always been ironic to me as Jesus was a Jew, however, it allowed those in power to have a scapegoat and say that the Jews were the ones that killed Jesus. Unfortunately, at that time, "Christians" were controlled by religious authorities and often simply followed what they were told.

Unknown said...

As a disclaimer to my earlier post, it is a shame that they did not clarify who the "Christians" were that did the persecuting, instead lumping them together with all Christians.

Tammy Washburn said...

I understand what you mean. The Romans destroyed Jerusalem and the Catholic church was birthed from that society. The Catholic church was controlled by satan...not Christ. But of course, the world does not see it that way. Lest anyone tried to blame only the Catholic Church, they quickly brought up Martin Luther who persecuted the Jews because they wouldn't join his protestant reformation. ... said he hated them. Perhaps true, but he was a product of the Catholic church still. Of course, then there is the Crusades. All done in the name of religion to cleanse Jerusalem of the muslims, but the christians killed lot's of jews along the way. Of course, English history shows the crusades were also a way for noblemen's sons and the commoner to make their way to fame, fortune and knighthood....really not a lot to do with christianity, but in name only.

However, the whole tone of this video was not just the historical offenses of the past, but was a complete slam on Christianity in tone and inflection all the way to modern days. You just had to be there....

Looking at history...the failure of the financial system, blamed on the jews. The restriction of their religion, the laws enacted against them, etc, etc. echo through the ages and are faintly familiar today.

The failure of the financial system is blamed on the "religious right/conservatives", but is really a product of the liberal left. The restriction of religious rights, the hatred against Christians on the airwaves. The museum left out the reason the jews and the german citizens couldn't defend themselves...the banning of gun ownership...which is top news stories of our day.

All too familiar...and reading the Bible...probably Christian's future.

Tammy Washburn said...

You are right...they lumped Christians together then and are doing so today. Lumping the real with the false all in one group.

Vicki Smith said...

I'm way behind on catching up with your great posts. I'm loving all the great pictures and commentary.
I thought I'd mentioned after our trip to DC a few months ago how WORTH IT it is to do the Tourmobile?! You must have missed that part. ;-)
Thank you for going to the top of the Washington Monument and taking such great pictures for me! I DON'T do heights and had absolutely NO desire to go to the top of the Monument, but my husband would have loved it. I would have happily waiting down below like I did when he and the kids went to the top of the Arch in St. Louis, but he didn't want to do without me. The pictures from up there are fabulous! I wish I could make myself do it, but no way, Jose!
I think Brother Smith spent more than an hour just in the Wright room of the Space and Aeronautics Museum. I think we were in that building for 5 hours or better. We also spent 5 hours or so in the Holocaust Museum. The thing that left the biggest impression on me was how QUICKLY Hitler took over and within weeks of taking power he'd put the wheels in motion to persecute and do away with the Jews. How'd he do that, anyway? He wasn't even the equivalent as our President! He was more like our Secretary of State or something like that. But he just took charge. Scary. What will our new President enact in the coming weeks and months that might simulate what happened back then? But God is in control of it all and nothing happens that's not in His plan.