Chicago Trip - Day 3 & 4

FRIDAY - Day Three:
Well, there isn't exactly a day three. After all that walking on Day 2...I was very tired. Remember, I haven't been out much since my car accident. This was my first big walking tour. So I lounged around the hotel and did meet a young mother who was on a personal "get-a-way" to de-stress. She told me all about her church "Willow Creek".

I did go out and found the Mexican Restaurant within a block of the hotel. I thought I would really try to go out walking with Mike, when he got off work, so I rested. But Mike was tired too, so we just walked two blocks over to try out Rain Forest Cafe...but there were too many kids....so we walked next door to Hard Rock Cafe...but it was too loud. ;) :) So we ended up back up at our hotel and ate at Weber Grill. Yes, that is Weber Grill Restaurant dedicated to grilling food on Weber Grills (I'm sure these are Restaurant sized grills though.) The man who created Weber Grills is from Chicago. THAT was the best steak! Hmmmmmm Good.

Saturday - Day Four: DOUBLE CLICK ON ANY PIX TO SEE MORE.

We had a lot to do today. We went first thing to Millenium Park area to find the Buckingham fountain. Quite a walk! I think this sculpture is called the "Cloud Gate".




Can you see us in the sculpture?















The Buckingham Fountain is so huge, it's hard to get a pix of all of it.


Then every hour it shoots water high in the sky!






THEN we had to quickly hike the mile & half back to get on the Architectural River Tour. We didn't realize it was a mile+ back...just kind of worked out that way! ;)
But great view of lake and boats on the way.


We rode on one just like this one that passed us.


It's impossible to show all the pix from the river. Sis. Tammi is probably the only one who cares to see them...so double click on the pix and you will see more of the buildings. But here is one of the more interesting.

Recognize this building in the insurance commercial where the car backs out and falls in the river?




Pie shaped condos where you can park your car AND dock your boat. Except I was told seven years ago on this same cruise that it cost $50,000.00 to own the parking SPACE! Who KNOWS what it cost to park your boat or buy the condo!

Sear's Tower ahead:



After the 90 minute tour (which we gladly rested on from our long hike) we strolled down the river to find a place to eat. But first we had to play in the fountain.




Front Side:


Every hour (I think) water shoots across the river. I've seen this in movies.




Sidewalk cafe:


After the long tour and meal, we were ready to walk another mile to the John Hancock Tower. The Sears Tower we found out was under renovation and would only take you to the 90th floor. The JH Observatory is on the 94th. They claim the JH is better view because it is on the water. It was fantastic. However, NEXT YEAR the Sear's Tower will boast a glass bubble/dome on the side where you can walk out on a see through floor! Ha! (note: the shiny new Trump Tower is the second tallest in Chicago now.)

View from the top of the JH Observatory: SOUTH



Navy Pier:




WEST:


94 Floors STRAIGHT down to the Water Tower that I took pix of in previous post.





NORTH:


EAST to LakeShore Parkway and Lincoln Park.



Window Washers!




After JH Building, we had to walk 6 blocks back to hotel. The street today was very, very crowded...Not like 2 days ago when I was here.


The Giradelli store was too crowded this time and we needed to get back to rest and change for tonights Fire Works cruise! Will post those pix later!

2 comments:

cokelady said...

I'm loving touring Chicago with you! I've only ever driven straight through it or had a lay-over there. I had no idea there was so much cool stuff there! I'd love to go--if only for the chocolate. ;-) The big, shiny, silver kidney bean looking thing is SO NEAT! Love all of the reflective pictures you took with it. And those big stack-of-cookies looking towers that are actually giant parking garages--weird! I've never seen anything like that. I don't know the commercial you're referring to, but I'D be scared of driving right out of it! Ooooooh, and some of your other pictures are fantastic, but make me rather queezy. I don't think I like looking DOWN on buildings that are that TALL--even just on a blog! Ha!

Tammy Washburn said...

Ya'll would love Chicago.

We didn't even get to on this trip:

Shedd's Aquarium
The Planetarium
The Field Museum (natural history)
The Science & Industry Museum
The Children's Museum on Navy Pier

Well, those are parking areas for only those people who live there and pay $50k + to own the space. :)

It was an AllState Commercial that dropped the car off the tower.