I thank God for REST.
Heb 4:9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
Mar 4:35-41
And the same day, when the even was come, he saith unto them, Let us pass over unto the other side.
And when they had sent away the multitude, they took him even as he was in the ship.
And there were also with him other little ships.
And there arose a great storm of wind,
and the waves beat into the ship, so that it was now full.
And he was in the hinder part of the ship, asleep on a pillow:
and they awake him,
and say unto him, Master, carest thou not that we perish?
And he arose,
and rebuked the wind,
and said unto the sea, Peace, be still.
And the wind ceased,
and there was a great calm.
And he said unto them, Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith?
And they feared exceedingly,
and said one to another, What manner of man is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?
I like this story. Did you notice the “Ands” ?
The “ands” reveal a situation that is escalating, ramping up with events and crisis piling on top of each other until it seemed that everything was completely out of control! Even after Jesus calmed the storm, the Disciples were still full of exceeding fear and turmoil because they didn’t understand that Jesus had been in control at all times, even while sleeping on a pillow.
Sometimes my life can become a series of “Ands”. My children are sick….and my husband’s job is in jeopardy…and my life is stressed…and with each event and each problem and each crisis piling on top of another…I am left to fearfully wonder “what comes next?”…. “and can I handle this?”… “and will this end?”
Jesus, the Creator and Ruler of the Universe and Master of the Seas, was resting peacefully in the hinder part of the ship, sound asleep while his Disciples were fearing for their lives. Jesus vividly taught them and is teaching us now that “There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.”
Whether we can grasp it or not….whether we believe it or not…Jesus is actually in control. He can bring Peace and Calm to the stormy "Ands" in our lives.
Those of us who are called out, born again, redeemed by the Blood of the Lamb can actually...cast aside fear
and doubt
and worry
and take our hands off the wheel
and the sails
and retreat to the hinder part of the ship
and rest on a pillow of Faith.
Instead of an escalating crisis….we can have escalating Faith.
I can rest in the knowledge that God can Save…and Heal…and Restore…and Protect…and Deliver....and “is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, “Eph 3:20
Thank God!!!! I think I’ll go rest now.
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. (Mat 11:28-30)
Tammy Washburn - Thanksgiving Devotion - #1
1 comment:
Good stuff.
Post a Comment