There is a company that calls our office (and other offices) every month trying to trick some poor unsuspecting newbie into giving them the serial # & model number of our laser printer to "update their files" for "our copier company", so they can in reality send very expensive toner to our door and then charge us (because someone on the phone "ok'd" it.) It is a scam and once caught in it, it is very difficult to put a stop to.
However, I know who they are because they never give a business name and when you ask for it or get suspicious they'll hang up. We have to train every new office assistant, not to answer that call. If we were a bigger company, we would probably get scammed.
Normally I just hang up on them, but this time... ;-P
I asked the man: "What do you need?"
He told me to get the serial number off the printer.
"Okay, hold a minute." I said, and put him on hold.
(I now imagined his joy over finding someone to scam.)
I got back on the phone and knowing that serial numbers are a series of letters and numbers, I told him to, "Write this number down".
He said okay and proceeded to write the number that I gave him.
u,r,s,t, zero, zero, p, one, d
He told me, "That must be the model number. I need the serial number."
I told him to "Read that model number back to me."
He finally read what he wrote down: URST00P1D
CLICK!
hahahaahhahahahahahahahhahahahhahahhahha!
I couldn't help myself. I get very tired of these tricky thieves and had to add some joy to my day!
I think my next one will be "TR1XR4K1DS".
HAHAHAHA! I could do this all day long!"
8 comments:
HA! You are GOOD! Or is that BAD? Either way, that's too funny! Quick thinking. You should supply a list of such serial numbers for your new employees to have on hand. :-)
Ha! Probably BAD! But, in this case, I think it is justified.
However, Mike always says that he has to keep me "close to Jesus". :-P
I'll think of some more, but you'd think they'd get tired of calling our office.
Do you have caller ID at the office? Have they been reported to the BBB? How about to the local news office? It seems like it would make for an interesting human interest story for the TV news.
No caller I.D. and they're probably ID blocked anyway. I think the BBB is aware of the problem nationwide. I looked it up on the internet one time and it is a wide spread thing. As for a local human interest story, I have no desire to see my face or hear my accent on the local news. Ha!
I would make an interesting receptionist at HQ tho'. LOL! However, I would be nice. :-)
People like you are what keep the world goin' round, Sister Tammy. I LOVE IT. I'm sure you will be a great influence on me once we get to Alabama and will help my clever nature and sarcasm to reach whole new levels. In other words, James probably will not allow me to associate with you outside of services. HA!
LOL! You can reassure Bro. Horne that you are safe with me. :) God FORTUNATELY has not blessed me with IMMEDIATE INSTANTANEOUS sarcastic wit. I have to ponder on it.
Fortunately for most people, I never get the chance to show off my slow blooming sarcastic talents because a second chance never arrives....AND...I really do have a tender heart...so God pretty much keeps me in line because I REALLY don't like to have to apologize...which God always makes me do!
BUT these people call EVERY MONTH! And I plotted and planned in advance what to say to them when the next chance arrived...and it worked out so beautifully that I am quite pleased with myself! I got to frustrate a thief and have some fun at the same time!
However, in a repentant mode, I may give them this code next time.....Q,U,ONE,T,S,ONE,N :)
(QU1T S1N)
I'll come up with some more religious codes for next month. Ha!
You have my support Sis Washburn.... Thats funny!!!!- Bro. Levi S
(in my best Elvis voice)
Thank ya...thank ya very much. :)
LOL!
Post a Comment