No more Taco Bell

We all went to Taco Bell after church Sunday night (at Mike's suggestion).
All day Monday he was sick with abdominal pain and distress. By the time I got home from work, he was really bad off and in severe pain.

Just like 10 years ago when he had food poisoning, he blacked out. He told me he was "going out" and I tried to get him to concentrate on praying and talking, but his eyes rolled back (which is really creepy) and it took me a little bit to get him awake. I put cold water on his face and LIGHTLY smacked his face to wake him up, trying to get him to talk to me and pray. (He claims I enjoyed "smacking" him.) I wasn't going to call the ambulance this time, but when he came to, he was real disoriented like when his mom had a stroke. He was still in a lot of pain and kept complaining about his hand itching. The EMT's came and gave him fluids which helped, but he was still in severe pain and was nauseous when they put him on the gurney.

I had already called Bro. Hopkins and he met the ambulance at the hospital and I was close behind. He got into ER before Alaena and I did. Mike looked like somebody had whopped him in between the eyes. (that's NOT where I had LIGHTLY smacked him! :-) Bro. H. asked me (jokingly) "Sis. Tammy is there something you want to share?" Ha!

By this time, they had already pumped pain killers in him, so Mike was resting. As the Docs wondered about an allergic reaction because his hands were now real red and swollen. I realized that an allergic reaction isn't usually confined to one area and looked under his shirt and waistband and saw that it looked like someone had poured scalding hot water on him. The spot between his eyes now covered his forehead. It wasn't like that at home, but had gotten worse.

To make a long story short, they got the pain and allergic reaction under control and all the redness and whelps went away. The CAT scan showed nothing serious, but what looked like a virus and they couldn't figure out if the allergic reaction was connected or not, even tho's his hands had itched all day long. We got home at 1:00 am and he has been sleeping all day.

However, about 7:00pm he was up complaining the "mess" in the kitchen(groceries that needed to be put away) so we KNOW he's better now!

So we may be blaming Taco Bell falsely, but that's okay, I don't like eating there anyway. :-)

3 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

Ooooooooh, scary stuff! So sorry for your fright and Brother Mike's pain, but thankful he's on the mend.

Tammy Washburn said...

Yeah, it was scary, but God got us through it and touched Mike.

Mike was born premature at 4 lbs. and things that hurt him, doesn't seem to hurt anyone else. I think the church people were a little nervous about getting sick too, but we think the allergic reaction escalated the problem for Mike.

cokelady said...

I would feel real guilty over the Taco Bell decision if it hadn't been his own idea. ;-) I'm so glad that everything worked out and he's okay.

I'm JUST NOW getting all caught up on the few blogs that are left out there. When I don't keep up with my own blog, I don't keep up with others either! Enjoyed your thoughts about being stuck in traffic. I'll try to remember them next time, too. :-)

(By the way--thanks for heading up the party tonight. I thought it was GREAT.)