Enjoyable Weekend

Enjoyed our weekend.  We moved Alaena's and Chris's bed up to Chattanooga for them so they don't have to sleep on the blow up bed anymore.  We went out to Steak N Shake that night for dinner and then Mike & I drove on to Cleveland and rented a room because Alaena lives in a one bedroom apartment and I'm not as young as they are and I won't sleep on a blow up bed. Ha!
The next morning we all went to Zion Hill for church.  We enjoyed our Sunday School class and Bro. Anders' message especially.  His message was about pleasing the Lord and it spoke to my heart. 

Afterwards, they were having a bake sale for Missions and I came away with half a German Chocolate cake and a bunch of goodies.  We were planning on going to a restaurant for my birthday, but Sis. Smith told me that her dinner guests (Bro. & Sis. Ard) couldn't come because of the bitter cold that morning, so she asked us if she could feed us!  So we were treated delicious ribs, 7 layer salad, baked potatoes, corn, beans, crecent rolls and dessert cake with 'puddin'/pineapple frosting.  Yuuummmm!  Bro. & Sis. Ard's loss was our gain. 

Alaena (the little stinker) comments, "Mom, Sis. Smith had all this food ready when she walked in the door without the use of a crock pot", and laughed and told Sis. Smith that I (her mom) acted like I needed a t-shirt for "feeding Sis. Smith" when I cooked for her and the Hornes a few weeks back.  (because cooking and feeding a crowd does not come naturally to me and because of my lack of confidence I get a little panicked, but I was determined to cook a good meal for them. Ha!  I never know what to cook for others besides my own family.) 

So when Alaena asked Sis. Smith at the table how she got the crecent rolls to rise that high (they were nice and fluffy) and Sis. Smith explained they were HOMEMADE crecent rolls, I burst out laughing at Alaena and said, "NOW you know why I wanted a T-SHIRT!" hahahahahahhaha!  Later in the kitchen, Alaena was asking about the cake frosting and I asked where to store the butter,  Alaena joked with Sis. Smith and asked, "Did you make the butter too? And milk the cow?"  That girl, I can't take her anywhere! She loves picking on me and evidently Sis. Smith too. Ha!  The dinner was delicious and I got a couple more recipes on my list to try, so one day I'll gain a bit more confidence in cooking for a crowd. 

Chris was a little bit intimidated at first when he heard we were eating at the GENERAL OVERSEER'S HOUSE!, but Alaena told him "they're cool" and he later agreed that "they are cool!". LOL!   Poor Bro. Smith still looked a bit tired from all his traveling and Mike hoped we didn't ruin a much needed Sunday afternoon nap for him. 

Thank you Bro. & Sis. Smith for having us over.  We enjoyed our visit and thank you for my birthday meal.





4 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

It was OUR privilege to have you! I really enjoy cooking for company (Brother Smith is too boring to cook for! HA!). When our originally invited guests couldn't come at the last minute I'm SO GLAD you guys were there to fill the vacancy!
I enjoy the whole process of cooking for company. It's sort of like a puzzle for me--especially cooking a Sunday dinner because of planning it all out where it will be ready soon after you return from church. I set the table before we go to church and plan the menu with as many "do ahead" dishes as possible. I like to make out my menu and grocery list. I often forget at least a couple of items when I'm shopping but I got lucky this week. I don't stress about it like I used to. I generally have a really relaxed attitude, figuring it will be okay and we'll all survive if I mess up or something doesn't come out just right. These days, when that happens, I just have an "Oh, well" attitude. :-)
Because of choir practice being thrown into the mix and needing to leave the house at 4:15, we didn't get the Sunday afternoon nap but it was worth it. We enjoyed the visit. We can fore-go a Sunday nap for company once a month. We did lay down and stretch out for about 15 minutes, so we were good.
It was so nice having you guys in Sunday School (although you were way too quiet, Sister Tammy) and in morning service. Our pastor does some excellent and challenging preaching.
As for your cooking abilities, you've GOT IT! Everything you fixed at Bessemer was delicious! Your "reputation" for not being a cook is ill founded. You just need to make yourself cook for company more often so your confidence will grow and it will come more naturally. You should strive to have company once a month or something. It's good for the fellowship and it will eventually help your meal prep flow smoothly. Cooking is becoming a lost art in America. We dare not let it die! :-)
It still catches me off guard when I'm reminded that people regard us as something different because of the whole "General Overseer" thing. We're just NORMAL people--co-members of God's Church, along with everyone else in TCOG. I did see Chris's face light up when I mentioned that Brother Smith had gone to a gun show on Saturday. HA! See? He's just a normal guy!

Tammy Washburn said...

We should have left at least 15 to 30 minutes sooner so you could have gotten a 30-45 minute stretch!

I'm glad you think cooking is a puzzle too, because it took me a week to figure out the puzzle when I cooked for you! Ha!

Notice, Alaena was asking you several questions. (teach her anything you can) Bless her heart, she'll call me and ask ME how to cook something different and I tell her that "this is very sad and you need to call her Grandmother." LOL!

If I am not teaching, I really don't talk much in Sunday School class (I know that's hard to believe, but true. Ha!)

You may be "normal people", but you're still kind of "awe inspiring". :-) (Sis. Horne just fell out her chair...no, that was Bro. Horne.) Chris is very quiet, but will talk some once he gets to know you.

Tammy Washburn said...

Bessemer church people go out to eat with each other every week and we have a lot of church dinners during the year, so I guess we don't really eat dinner at each other's houses. We just meet at a restaurant.

My sister would pick on me because whenever they showed up I made chili or ordered pizza. Ha! I surprised her last time and made some chicken thingy in a crock pot and she was impressed. God Bless the "Fix It and Forget It" cookbooks!!!!

Vicki Smith said...

Being a "good cook" is easier than ever. ANYBODY can be a good cook just by following a recipe and now you don't have to buy a lot of cookbooks. You can learn to cook ANYTHING by just going to www.tasteofhome.com or www.allrecipes.com It's free and they know everything there is to know--at least for the average American woman. I have no interest in lah-di-dah gourmet stuff. My husband wouldn't eat it anyway. ;-) And the "Fix It and Forget It" cookbooks are a great resource.
I have a whole LIBRARY of cookbooks but I find myself usually using the Internet because of the great search options. A lot of time I just look for a recipe using a certain ingredient that I need to use up.