Ashamed to say....

That there are times (to many I'm afraid) when I'm just not aware of God's divine appointments.   After church last night, Mike wanted to dash to Kohl's to trade some jeans he had bought (he's lost weight on my less-sugar lifestyle too:-)  Mike always seems to want to shop (mostly groceries) on Wed. nights when I am tired and don't feel like walking around a store.  I don't mind sitting in a restaurant fellowshipping, but walking around a store in church shoes is not my thing...so I was slightly aggravated with his timing.  While he tried on jeans, I wandered around and looked at Christmas decor and Kitchen stuff.  (I'm not looking at clothes until I have undergrown (Ha!!!) ALL my clothes and can't take them in anymore.  (so far, I haven't taken in anything, but there are a couple of skirts that just may need it in the near future. Yeah!  I've been wobbling at 14-15 lbs loss for a couple of days. I'm hoping for 5 more before the end of December.) 

Back to the story...after I looked at the shoes and purses, I met Mike back in his department and he told me some lady had drained her battery dry in the parking lot and was looking for someone to jump-off her car.  I selfishly mumbled something like "Who is she?" (M:  I dunno, some lady.) Picturing some crazy lady accosting my husband in the men's department I asked, "Why does this always happen to US!  Why do YOU always have to be the rescuer!"  (Although total strangers walk up to my outgoing husband all the time asking for help/money/sharing life story, confessing etc.....YES, I do admit I (the hermit) was being selfish...especially after the fantastic VLB service we had just attended about giving Jesus more than just your time, money and attendance and dying out to Him.....you know the whole Wise Man discipleship/gift thing to which I evidently chose the  "look in the mirror and then turn away and forgetting what manner of person I was" route. :-(

As I rounded the corner with my husband, there stood a lady I didn't recognize, but she certainly recognized me and said, "Well, there's Tammy Washburn!  I didn't know he was your husband."  Since she knew my name, I had to ask who she was (isn't that embarrassing, but I haven't seen her in YEARS and she looked different than when I last saw her...but then I have a terrible memory with names.)  It turns out she is Bro. Hopkin's niece (his sister's daughter) with her teen children...who happens to have the same first name as me...who happened to have had a Pampered Chef party for me years ago...who happens to be the new pastor's wife of the Cogop my mother-in-law used to be a member at...(I could go on :-)

Due to mitigating circumstances her family couldn't come help her and suggested that she go into the store to ask someone to help, which I am sure is scary at best at 9:30 pm and happened to run into Mike (not knowing who he was).  We all agreed that God worked this situation out, had a good visit (with me feeling all guilty).  Mike jumped off her car and we followed her on the interstate to our exit.

And I got a little lesson on being more patient and more unselfish from God.

5 comments:

Rebekah said...

You confess things that other people just don't talk about and pretend didn't happen. I love that about you!

God knows what He's doing, how to arrange our lives, and what great lessons we have to learn in the most unexpected times. :-)

Vicki Smith said...

:-) Love it!

Tammy Washburn said...

Sis. Rebekah: I write this stuff down to remind myself not to repeat it again next week. Ha!

Welcome Home Sis. Smith!

pottersclay said...

Thanks for posting this and helping me realize that everyone around me is human too. haha I have had these same feelings before and similar circumstances. I'm glad God is merciful to me. :)

Tammy Washburn said...

Potter's Clay...I didn't know you had a blog! Thanks for letting me know. I've had other people tell me that they are glad they weren't the only ones who "did, felt, acted, failed,etc." like "that".

That's why we need each other...not to supply excuses, but to supply encouragement to reach higher ground.