LOOK HERE!!
http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/05/how-to-make-your-own-rotisserie-chickenno-rotisserie-required.html
We love Sam's Club Rotisserie Chicken! But due to traffic, it is not easy to get to Sam's after work, then walk all the way to the back of the warehouse and then fight Hoover traffic back home. So we only buy it when we shop there which is about once every other month. I found this recipe on a website of how to cook Rotisserie Chicken without a Rotisserie. You use a crock pot instead. I sent the recipe to Alaena and she declared it good, but not as good as Sam's...because naturally we didn't have the same seasoning that they put on the Sam's chicken. On the lookout for that. Probably a rub.
So I finally tried it. I did the mayo method and slathered it on the clean chicken. Then sprinkled the half packet of seasoning I had on hand and cooked it in the crockpot overnight. Next time use a whole packet, maybe two. I didn't have any potatoes (my sweet potatoes were entirely too large), so I did use the tin foil method. It was great. I got up the next morning and nibbled and it was very good. Mike and I both ate it for lunch...will have the leftovers in another meal tonight.
I also did what the recipe said and cooked the chicken bones and skin in 16 cups of water overnight in the crockpot to make homemade chicken broth. Got up this morning and strained it and put it in containers in the fridge. Will skim off the fat and freeze for future use. I haven't cooked bone-in chicken in a long time (always used tenderloins) and never made chicken broth before. :-) I guess I could make chichen broth with the Sam's bird. Aren't I just a little suzy homemaker this week!
On the weight loss front...I kind of stalled at 17 pounds loss for a while, but seem to be back to losing now. We had our first cold weather along with days and days (weeks) of rain. Which means COMFORT FOOD! The sun is coming back out and I've tossed in some exercise, tightened up on the sugar again (yes I ate two of those donuts at the last Dist. convention :-) and have lost 2 more pounds. So I'm at 20 lbs since Ladies Retreat. Yeah!
---------------------------------
I've been struggling to get all my classes under control. I teach 3-6 Sunday School, Children's Church and Gleaners. I also have no assistants in any of these classes. No one...nada. I don't mind not having an assistant in Children's Church and Gleaners because my philosophy is "when I'm not there or sick, they can go hear their PASTOR or AUX. LEADER teach. But in Sunday School, I really need an assistant so I can go take care of State Work. But right now there is NOBODY!
Teaching the 3-6 Sunday School threw me for a loop because I had never taught that class before. Alaena tells me that attention span is a minute for each year of age. So I have 3 MINUTES TO TEACH A LESSON. Sunday School lasts for 45 MINUTES!!! So, like I've mentioned in the past...I've collected a Noah's Ark, a plastic Nativity Scene, xylophones and jingle-jangle instruments, hand puppets and rolling stage (cheap rolling clothes rack which is adjustable). I also dragged a wooden bin holder shelf thingy from the church attic. The bins hold crayons, glue, scissors, musical instruments, and sidewalk chalk for the chalkboard. We have a cd player and lots of music to sing, play and march to. The 3 year old triplets had been allowed to watch "He-Man" at home and have lately answered every question with "He-Man". Imagine my delight when one of them raised the play sword in the air and cried "of Gideon" instead!! (for "the sword of the Lord and of Gideon") I told them that GIDEON was a real live BIBLE HERO because he OBEYED and served God. That "other guy" was just a cartoon, fake not real. As you can see, we're a little behind on the church SS literature due to kid's sickness, but I wanted them to learn about Gideon! The triplets have also turned into little flag wavers in Childrens Church all by themselves. They are facinated with the flags and marching. They inspired us to all grab flags and march in Children's Church last week.
For Gleaners, I found a book that is real very good. It is ROUTE 66 - A TRIP THROUGH THE 66 BOOKS OF THE BILE. http://www.amazon.com/Route-66-through-Books-Grades/dp/1600225225
It is KJV friendly and can be adapted, but you do have to check through the lessons and the puzzles. Mostly it is just general information and questions that require the student to look up the answer in the Bible themselves. However, since we use the KJV, sometimes the answers in the back of the book is different than the ones we find..so my answer key isn't always helpful. We found only one puzzle word so far that hasn't fit. You had to look up the crossword answer in the Bible and they put "sulpher" in the crossroad puzzle instead of "brimstone". Since you can copy the lessons for your class, I just only hand what I want. I also found some Bible Quizzes on the internet and adapt them to fit the lessons. I also have a time line and we take a whirl wind tour through each book of the Bible. We covered Leviticus last week. HOWEVER, I GIVE HOMEWORK!! Can't you just hear all the groans now!! Ha! The kids aren't exactly happy, but I'm unaffected. Ha! Sam (with a twinkle in his eye) told me last week that he "couldn't wait until I retired". hahahahahaha! I informed him that it wouldn't be until after he was 12! I know that kid loves me somewhere down deep in his heart! We probably will only go through the Old Testament until Spring and then pick up the New Testament in the Fall and fortunately the book combines some of the books, so it won't take forever!
In Children's Church, I haven't been so lucky. The age gap is so wide that I have been having trouble with it. It is very difficult to find books to teach out of (that's why I was overjoyed to find the Route 66 for Gleaners) and it is difficult to create your own lesson every week. Our Children's Church is in age flux...it used to be mostly ages 9-11, but now it is transforming into the younger age range. Since I have always found it easier to teach the older range, I'm now thrown into a tizzy on how to drop to the lower ages. I'm really going to have to revamp this class. Working on it.
4 comments:
Hi Sis. Tammy, I know we don't know each other personally ;) But I saw your link on Sis. Smith's blog and took a peek!
I will forsure try out that chicken recipie. I have a husband twin boys who are 12, a daughter 10 and a son 7. Getting new recipes are always appreciated around here.
I too teach all the classes you mentioned! Well, our "Children's Church" is really nursary class here. We don't have kids under 4 during service. They stay with mom and dad. Anywhow.... Any ideas you have I'd love to hear:) God Bless you! Love from Montana!
Our computer wouldn't let me post last night.
Good to meet you Sis. Melissa! I guess you go to church in Havre? We would love to visit that area one day. I'm a person who has never really enjoyed cooking so I try to find easy ones. Pinterest is helping me alot. Too bad it wasn't around when my kids were little. Ha!
I have a couple of links in my blog's sidebar that lead to our Children's Church blog and my Sunday School blog. Only problem is that I haven't updated them in a long time.
Here is an old blog entry of Children's Ministries Resources (websites). I need to add some more and make sure all the links still work.
http://www.apttoteach.blogspot.com/2009/11/for-alaena.html
Welcome!
What an industrious and creative lady you are!
Congratulations on the weight loss. That's fantastic! I really need to muster up the self control to cut back. Why is it so hard?
Once I realized that Sugar, like caffiene is addictive...I prayed and asked the Lord to deliver me of my sugar addiction. He did.
Post a Comment