The Apartment

I have spent the last few weeks unpacking and decorating like a crazy woman, trying to get it all finished before Mike starts traveling and I start a new job.  I didn't think I could ever get all those boxes unpacked.

For some reason there is an opening in the wall between the living room and hallway.  It almost looks directly into the bathroom and I wanted to disguise that somewhat.  This is the living room view.
I wasn't too sure of it at first.  I thot it may have looked too dorky, but Mike liked it and my mom liked it and Sis. Horne liked it...so it stayed.


The hallway view with my hanky collection on the left.

The view of living room from front door.  I got the Home Sweet Home sign as a Welcome to AZ gift to myself from a thrift store.

Living room from dining room




Looking back at the front door

Entertainment center.  The cross is a gift from my ex-employer's wife.
 

Looking into living room and dining room


Dining Room.  Had to turn my big heavy solid wood triple dresser that normally goes in a bedroom into a buffet in my dining room. I had considered selling it, but furniture from 1976 are solid wood and everthing we liked from 2013 is pasteboard and very expensive, so we hauled the whole bedroom suite over here.  Boy are they heavy.


Close up view.

The bedroom is a  work in progress. We don't have a king sized headboard, so  I put  the quilt on the wall (it seems to have been made crooked :)  and will have to paint the lamps, get new lamp shades (I'm considering red) and want to find a new cream quilt.  I'll show pix when it's done.  I like the brown accent walls that came with the apartment.  

 
 
We don't have a second bedroom, but have a "den" that is off the living room.  We left one queen bed with Alaena at our house in AL, but brought our  queen bed from AL and had bought the King in AZ.  So our only choice besides moving into another apartment (which I don't want to do for another year!!!) is to turn the "den" into a spare bedroom and office.  So the furniture that matches the triple dresser and our office desk is in here.  I am looking for a tri-fold screen that will screen off this room when we have guests and Mike and I will sleep in here and let our guests have the main bedroom. 

 I'll be looking for a new bedspread for this bed soon.

The tapestry on the left of the magnetic bulletin board is what the shop keeper in Peru gave us for giving him a KJV Bible.
 
The glass table we bought for  our dining room when we first moved here was purchased with the idea we could move it out onto our patio when our other furniture and patio furniture got here. We just took the four chairs that matched the table and scattered them through the house.  I need to get some fall decorations out here. 
 
The kitchen basically looks the same, but has some décor stuff on top of the cabinets.  Nothing special.  Maybe later.  So there's the tour.  Too much stuff...not a lot of room...but it's home now.



7 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

It's adorable! It looks very cozy and inviting, and FRIENDLY. HA! I'm not sure if you'll appreciate the "friendly" part, or not. ;-)It does look like "home" and it gives the feeling that you LIKE your home.
Instead of spending the $$$ for a tri-fold screen, you might consider doing what I do when we have guests to overflowing. To privatize our living room I hang a quilt or heavy blanket on a tension shower curtain rod. It's easy to put up and take down. For me, there wasn't even any investment--I had a spare shower curtain rod left over from our last move.
I love your creativity of repurposing the dresser into a buffet. And I LOVE how you did that window to the hall!
I vote for red lamps in the bedroom. Red gives such a great pop of color! You could go either way--red lamps with cream or beige shades, or beige lamps with red shades. A burgundy/maroon color would look kind of neat in there next to that accent wall.

Tammy Washburn said...

Ah... You know me better than you thought or you stumbled onto something without knowing it. ;-) I'm working on the hospitality part in AZ. Nobody in AZ knows I am really an introvert hermit! LOL!

Thanks for all the compliments... I told your daughter I was trying to "channel her" when I was decorating. She said we don't believe in channelling. Ha!

I WISH I could hang a divider but the area doesn't have a door and is too wide. The hallway and the living room open directly into that room making the opening on the diagonal. The only walls to connect is the hallway which would cut the room off from the bathroom. It's a bummer. But there are about 10 goodwills within a 10 mile radius....I'll find something or on Craigslist.

Tammy Washburn said...

I added the apartment floorplan to see how it all comes together.

Vicki Smith said...

I understand now. It may be a tri-fold screen may be your solution. I'm SO PROUD OF YOU for wanting to have a place for guests! Way to go!!! GOD BLESS YOU!!!

Rebekah said...

I just taught a lesson on witchcraft at Ministers' Convention this past weekend and here's Sister Tammy trying to channel me!!! Hahahahahaha! I LOVE what you've done with your cute little place. It really does look so nice and warm and comfortable. I wanna come visit! ;-)

Tammy Washburn said...

Y'all come on!

Tammy K. said...

Very nice.
It looks great.