Can anyone lend me a hand?

You should have been with me into the halloween section of Party City to see the sales girl's expression when I, the gray haired one, asked politely if they had a "severed arm".

She was stocking boxes and she turned and did a double take and said, "No, I don't think so."

I chuckled and said, "Okay, Thank you" and turned and walked away. I did stop and grin at her and said...."I need it for a prop." She was a little relieved I think. :) :)

Want to know why I need a fake severed arm or hand?

Well, I spoke with my Sunday School superintendent and got permission to scramble up the order of the Adult Sunday School lessons. No offense to the SS dept. but I felt the lessons needed to be in order of hierarchy. As in...God (The Love Chapter), Why HE created Man, Wife, Family unit (family/marriage lessons) and this Sunday we'll cover why not to break up the Family unit (D&R) and then we'll proceed to the lesson's on the Individual responsibilities of Husband/men, Wife/woman, Children, Church, Finances. The correct order being: God, Family (Husband, Wife, Children), Church.

I covered the playdough illustration the week before the convention, so this week I will cover this scripture:

Mat 5:27-32 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: 28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. 29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell. 30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell. 31 It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement: 32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

So I want to bring a fake "severed hand" wrapped up in a towel or bag and pull it out for the Ladies to illustrate that God is very serious about us getting rid of sin in our lives in that we need to spiritually sever it. In fact, it is so important for us to NOT go to hell, that God says that if the choice were an arm or hell....it would be better to lose the arm. In other examples, it would be better to sever oneself from the SECOND, and sadly in most cases, MORE loving "marriage" than to send oneself and family to hell because of living in sin.

I have a fake plastic hand, but I was looking for a more realistic one with blood! Ha!! hahahahhahahahaha!

2 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

A fake eyeball might not be so hard to locate. :-) Props and visual aids are an invaluable asset to teaching. You're the kind of teacher every student would love to sit under--one that keeps 'em wondering what you've got up your sleeve next! :-) (Or in this case, you're wanting an EMPTY sleeve!) HA!

Tammy Washburn said...

If it were a little closer to Halloween, I probably could get them both at Walmart, CVS even! I'll try to locate another "eye ball" at Party city. They have those sometimes. Ha! (my husband wanted to do the empty sleeve bit for me...but I thought it would be better to pull it out of a black plastic bag!)

Thank you, however if my class doesn't fall into a glazed over coma, I consider myself a successful teacher! hahahahaha.

I had a teacher over me one time that really inspired me to look for things to make the lesson come alive. BUT another great teacher and friend also taught me...it is more important to remember the point of the lesson and NOT the prop. The lesson is more important than the prop and the prop should just accessorize the lesson. This teacher had been our Children's Church teacher, but her husband got a new job, so one of our other churches will now benefit from her wisdom. I'll miss this family a lot, but we'll still get to see them.