Dustin's Graduation


Valedictorian Bachelor's of Science degree in Software Engineering Technology with Honors & Honor's Society Gamma Beta Phi from ITT Technical Institute.

Dustin's Speech: (Of course, you have to hear it in Dustin's vibrant style "preacher's voice" to get the full effect. The whole crowd loudly applauded...then Bro. Hawkins said "Praise The Lord" real loud afterwards...and a thrill went through all the "persons of color". ;)

Renowned Green Bay Packers coach Vince Lombardi once stated, "We are accountable to our God, to each other, and most of all to ourselves to do well with what we've got."

My most memorable experiences have very little to do with sports or goofing off with my friends. They have to do with the hurricane victims I helped feed with the Red Cross after Ivan. They have to do with the house I helped paint for a poor family with volunteers from Habitat for Humanity. The kids I counseled at the YMCA. The family members I prayed and talked with through a crisis.

I don't want my IT job, nor my xbox achievements to be my legacy. I want the life-changing, dirty, grimy, difficult, heart-wrenching work to be something I can tell my grandchildren about!

Recently, there have been devastating earthquakes in Haiti and Chile, genocides in Rwanda, slave camps in Burma, and drug cartels massacring towns in Mexico! There is crime in Birmingham, where hungry homeless veterans roam...live up and down our interstates.

But TODAY--today you and I have been given a gift--a signed LEGAL document that states that we are now well equipped to make this world a better place.

Do not let us down!

Graduates--I charge you--do not let YOURSELVES down!

CONGRATULATIONS CLASS OF 2010!!!!!!!!!!!!


2 comments:

Vicki Smith said...

Congratulations!

Tammy Washburn said...

Thanks! Since this is private. He is heading to Georgetown, Guyana (South America)